That was easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polecreek

Reaction score
I wish I had known sooner how easy this AG is. Did my first today and went smooth, I thought it would be harder.

Actually that thermometer thing was the hard part. My dial therm. in the mash tun read 15 degrees differently fron the pid on my rims. The pid and my pocket digital thermometer agreed so I went with them. I threw in a floating thermometer and it was different from all of them.

I calibrated all my thermometers using ice water (let it sit 15 minutes) and boiling water. All my digital thermometers were out to lunch by at least 3*F, my analog dial thermometer from the LHBS is dead on. So I use the cheap dial thermometer for my mash temp.

The thing is it was calibrated before hand. After I added the grain the temp. probe was in the grain bed. I think thats where I got 15 degrees temp. difference from the surface water temp.

I started with AG... I couldnt brew extract if I tried... it isnt hard, just takes some attention to detail.

Congrats on a successful brew session... I am firing up the Brew Beast tomorrow morining at 6am to brew an APA myself.

I started at 6am myself. My biggest surprise of the day was a hairline crack in a brass ballvalve on my BK. Didnt find that until I started recirculating the wort through my plate chiller. Good ole electrician tape saved the day.

I did AG more then extracts, i prefer it to extracts as stated above its too much attention to detail and it never ends up being as clear as you want it to be. I use DeathBrewer's easy stove top method and have recently done 4 beers 2 AG and 2 parctial Mash and they have all gone smoothly... they arent done yet but i have all the confidence in the world they will work out perfectly... if you ask me AG is the way to go, but you have to do a few extracts and a few kits and some research to get all your ducks in a row first, because without good brewin practices your just as sunk as you are if you dont know what your doing at all. A little knowlege is a dangerous thing... Thats what Shecky always says about my spelling too.... Thats because i paid more attention in Science then i did in English.

Cheers

Back