Tap Handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
Who's made their own tap handles?

I'm looking for some ideas. I already have one under way but will be making more.. I would have something to show but it's so cold outside (-30) that I snapped the power cords on 2 of my power tools today out in the shed.. I guess I'll wait to finish until it warms up..

lets see some pics.. I remember seeing some nice hand carved ones.. Just wondering how you attached the nut to the wood? I planing on maybe turning some nice Maple or Oak into a handle but i'm not sure about how to attach it!

Thanks

Bill

I didn't actually make these tap handles but I bought them because I could put switch out my own label creations when the kegs changed.

I bought them from Taphandles Inc. - Custom Beer tap handle, tap marker, and tap knob supplier. We design and manufacture quality tap handles, tap markers, and tap knobs for breweries of all sizes.

DSC01623.jpg

I've made one, so far. It's not completely done yet - needs some paint - and I already have the idea for the other tap, just gathering parts now.

The ideas I used came from my username, with one handle representing the golf side and the other representing the motorcycle side. The golf side is a real golf ball and on a "tee" made of machine aluminum. The other side will be a motorcycle grip and brake lever (got this idea after seeing a picture of a similar one).

Will post pics when they're done.

Edit - if you're using metal, of course you can machine the threads into your base, but if you're using wood you can buy the inserts online and maybe a hardware store (I picked up a few at Lowes).

i made this one
novemberintodecember132.jpg

well i didnt really make it. i just sanded the paint off and drilled and tapped the bottom.

If your co-worker was worth a sh!$ he would probably come up with one from his "collection". That is unless he drinks too much to remember to bring one to work.:mug:

Well I finally got off my a$$ and made a handle.. she's pretty fancy(J/K).. already have an idea for my next one.

now I have to figure out how to tap an old pinion gear!

This one's out on the back BBQ island/outdoor kitchen. It's a small shell of an abalone I found while diving (for bigger abalone) off the coast of Northern California. I drilled the hole with a diamond bit and epoxied a threaded insert into the shell. The tower is all stainless from Micromatic and has been sitting out in the weather for the past 2 years. Looks brand new :D

attachment.php

I plan on making my own tap handle out of something. Not sure exactly what to make it out of yet. I found a few cool looking statues at a local store. One was a black dragon type looking thing holding a goblet. It was $8. My friend wanted me to use a sling shot that was for sale there to. It was a deer head with a sling shot between the antlers.

I'm just going to drill the bottom of whatever I use and tap it. I figure it should be fairly straight forward. If it strips out I'll simply drill it out oversized and put an insert in the bottom.

Back