Best and worst part of Christmas AM.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I say this every year, but the sheer joy on my daughters face when she sees that Santa came by is priceless. I just makes me want to burst with happiness to see her get so excited and thanking Santa for all of the cool stuff she got. Unfortunately this joy also comes with a price.

I have to be conscious for this...

Its bad enough that we were up until 2(something) this AM to get it all set up, but throw in the fact that we were awoken at around 6(something) to see what Santa brought. I think that Santa is really Satan misspelled.
Is it too early for a beer?
-Me

Living alone, and not seeing anyone right now, and childless, I can't really say there's anything BEST about Christmas Morning.

MEH....
icon_224.gif

I lasted listening to about 5 Christmas Songs on the radio before having the desire to sledgehammer the radio. I turned on a Austaralian Brewing podcast instead.

Enjoy those precious moments you have with those you love.

:mug:

pros:

excited munchkin, who was as excited to give the gifts she picked out for me and her mom.

cons:

all the little metal twist ties, tape and rubberbands that hasblo uses to secure their plastic piles of crapola. half the price on toys is gotta be in the packaging. the last two years i've gotten the cross cutters ready the night before. ;)

the pile of wasted wrapping paper and boxes that i have to bundle up.

yea- I love seeing my oldest get his IPOD and 10 min later we find out one of my HDD is going bad. The one with the OS boot on it......

Awesome/notsobadbutkindasucks

515 am my son is flicking the light on to our bedroom.... Still was fun watching the kids. My daughter is 14 so she does not get much stuff that is "fun" Clothes and all that. I have been tasked with building the rocket, he is taking a nap already so we don't tie him to the rocket and see how high off the ground we can get him.
The bad side is my our family is all ovet the states and none are close. It has always been just us for the holidays. It would be nice to share some home brew and memories with family, but I guesss this means more beer for me.

My kids are at their mom's again for xmas. She lives in the next state over, and I have no family local, so I send them there so they can have a bunch of family around them on the holidays instead of just me. It's been that way for the last several years, but one of these years, I'll have them with me. Maybe I'll bring them on a vacation to Mexico or something one year.....

But ultimately, it really is nice to have the kids around especially on a day like xmas. Love them kids to death, and couldn't wait for them to leave, (was getting perpetual headaches from their constant arguing) but as soon as they left, the house felt really big and empty. And too quiet. Enjoy them every second you have them. For better or worse.

No, it's not too early to have a drink. I've had 3 Baily's and cofee and am on my way to get number 4.
I know what you mean, but, Please enjoy every moment of waking up with them. All my kids are grown and in different states and I would give almost anything to have them wake me up again on Christmas morning.

Best part: girls being excited beyond belief. My older one at 6:30 was making noise in her room and saying over and over, "If we don't go downstairs, I might explode."

Worst part: girls fighting over their toys.

I didn't get anything brewing related, which would have been a bummer if my wife hadn't been so upset about it. She simply didn't have time to get to the LHBS and I completely understand that. She was so upset that she cried.

Bless her heart. I'll just have to accrue some things in the coming weeks.:D

worst part: i'm coughing. my spine is completely stiff. my legs are tingly and aching. my rib cage feels like a million little knives are stabbing into it. this is all due to the fact that i've been lying around because i'm sick and it does a number on my back.

best part: well, uh...i don't have to work! i'm going to get drunk off whiskey in about an hour. maybe a little high, too. or maybe i'll skip the whiskey and take some painkillers.

in any case, i will have a lazy day of cleaning up my apartment and maybe installing my new filter. i'll feel better when it's all finished, i'm sure.

worst part: i'm coughing. my spine is completely stiff. my legs are tingly and aching. my rib cage feels like a million little knives are stabbing into it. this is all due to the fact that i've been lying around because i'm sick and it does a number on my back.

best part: well, uh...i don't have to work! i'm going to get drunk off whiskey in about an hour. maybe a little high, too. or maybe i'll skip the whiskey and take some painkillers.

in any case, i will have a lazy day of cleaning up my apartment and maybe installing my new filter. i'll feel better when it's all finished, i'm sure.

You are doing it wrong.

Burbon + Pain Killers FTW

best part ... watching the cats play with their new toys

worst part... getting the call from the alarm company that the restaurant was broken into. I get there, police have left. no audible alarm, no signs of entry.
false alarm.
$250.00 fine.
:mad:

it can only get better.

You are doing it wrong.

Burbon + Pain Killers FTW

maybe later. i feel a little better. i installed my filter for my sink :)

my legs are cramped, but just moving around helps mah back.

there is a noticeable difference in the taste of the water. goddamnit, now i want to brew. i have some two month old dunkelweizen grains sitting in the closet and plenty of weizen extract. just looked and i have WLP300 sitting in the fridge, too.

hmm...whattaya think? broke back black mass weizen?

best part 8 year old son banging on the drum set and playing mouse trap with the family

worst part tomorrow driving thru LA and listening to spanish karaoke

worst part... getting the call from the alarm company that the restaurant was broken into. I get there, police have left. no audible alarm, no signs of entry.
false alarm.
$250.00 fine.
:mad:

it can only get better.

Got a buddy who owned a liquor store awhile back. On christmas day he had an alarm also. Alarm company called him and the police. He got there first and had his gun out. After searching the store, he saw a stray cat had set off the motion detectors. As he was leaving his store, he was greeted by 4 officers with their weapons drawn. Turns out, they used some kind of infrared detector to determine that there was a man with a gun walking around the store. So after getting violated (frisked) he ended up with a big fine and a couple more drinking buddies over the somewhat humorous situation.

Pros: Just being home with the parents and enjoying giving them their presents and not having to go to another Christmas (first time single at Christmas). Thicker wallet due to no GF this year. Great food...

Cons: School starts back Jan. 5th

better than it getting actually broken into on christmas. just need to find out the cause of the false alarm so you don't have to pay that retarded fee again.

according to my boss, the same thing happened last Christmas day.
I told her she needs to look into a new alarm company.

anyway...
yes it is better than actually being burgled.
The safe is secure, and ll the food is locked up ... the only thing they could really do is vandalize the place.

Still, not a fun way to start the day.

that sounds like a plan.

the grains smelled great so i went for it. mission accomplished. tastes chocolatey and fantastic. this was actually ingredients for my banana bread ale. i boiled it down to 2.5 gallons at 1.104. i guess i should buy another yeast tomorrow to help out the ferment :)

this will be one of my space-saving batches. i'll throw it in the corner and dilute it down when i keg. worked great with the other dark beers i did...not so much the lighter ones.

i've already done that, reviewed some beers, cleaned up the brew cabinet and cleaned and sanitized everything for tomorrow. i'm going to brew again, my blood ale, i think.

not too bad of a day. time for bed.
:mug:

Back