Bottled my Caribou Slobber today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetbrewer

Reaction score
Brewed up a half batch from a 5gal. extract kit. Took a hyd. reading of 1.020
with a OG of 1.058 so if I figured right it's at 5 ABV and 201 calories per 12oz. Tasted the sanple I took after it chilled about an hour, damn it was tasty, could of drank a few more like that but fought back the urge haha. Now the long wait till it'c carbed up:( :mug:

I brewed The Slobber as my first beer with my NB kit.
It's drinkable at two weeks, but much better Imo at three weeks. Give it some time, and it's a good beer. Everyone that has tried it really liked it. One guy liked it so much he is getting a NB kit for Xmas (Shh.. I been talking to his Santa).

Congrats on the new brew! It's gonna be good stuff. I wish you all had my experience where $5 and 10 minutes of your time would get you a growler full of the real deal Moose Drool. The proximity hardly makes it worth brewing at home. :)

I must have royally screwed my caribou slobber up. I'm at 2 weeks in bottle conditioning and its quite carbed but it tastes a bit papery. I'm holding my head in shame and I remember some splashing when I siphoned to the bottling bucket. I really hope oxidation hasn't ruined this whole batch.

Good luck on yours!

revco said:
Congrats on the new brew! It's gonna be good stuff. I wish you all had my experience where $5 and 10 minutes of your time would get you a growler full of the real deal Moose Drool. The proximity hardly makes it worth brewing at home. :)

I hate you now. ;) ::slainté::

I've got some in primary now. What yeast did you use?

Try of after a week in the bottles, I always do...or less, lol. Its too tough and it always tastes great after a week. I call it my samples. I just had my IIPA after 2 days, haha, they're just too good!

I just bottled mine yesterday, can't wait to give these a taste. Any recommendation on how long to wait before cracking one open?

I just bottled mine yesterday, can't wait to give these a taste. Any recommendation on how long to wait before cracking one open?

3 weeks, it will be disappointment if you open one earlier. I just hit 3 weeks on my batch on Monday, I had one at 1 week and 2 weeks just to see the changes it would go through and thought I was in trouble as it tasted really strong. I had 3 last night and couldn't believe the difference, I normally am not a big fan of brown ale's but this one is going in my rotation.

Hold up a second....
Big Sky only charges $5 for a growler fill of Moose Drool????
That is freaking outstanding.
You'd be hard pressed to find a growler fill of PBR for $5 where I live.

It's a good beer. I have a few stowed away that have aged for the last 6 months. I'm excited to try it and see how the flavors have changed over time.

I'm brewing up a batch of Slobber for the first time this weekend. I'm not normally a brown ale fan, but all the reviews I read made me want to try it for a winter brew. Hopefully it turns out as good as advertised...

MMJfan said:
I'm brewing up a batch of Slobber for the first time this weekend. I'm not normally a brown ale fan, but all the reviews I read made me want to try it for a winter brew. Hopefully it turns out as good as advertised...

Caribou Slobber was the first *ever* batch I made. I am a total noob at home brewing, and I know that I made mistakes [All the LME at the start instead of doing a late addition which according to everything I have seen on here seems to be a more preferred approach; first hop addition @wrong time; boiled too long; fermented warmer than directed, etc ] it still came out very good IMHO. Nobody has turned their nose up at it - - but then again it is free beer.
I don't know if it's the recipe or the style, but it seems to be forgiving of mistakes. I hope you enjoy your Slobber as much as I am enjoying mine!
(wait... That doesn't sound right... But you know what I mean)
::slainté::

Thanks for the info ronsky. I'm a relative noob as well (got my homebrew start last may) and all I've brewed is extract brews until recently. My last two batches have been BIAB and I'm brewing the Slobber BIAB as well. So I'm a total noob when it comes to BIAB so it is good to know this seems like a pretty forgiving beer to brew. :mug:

Back