Reusing washed yeast, different beer style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistFM

Reaction score
I have been researching how to wash and reuse yeast lately. I asked a friend about it and he mentioned that if I reuse that yeast I need to have a higher OG or a darker beer. I know this is true for re-using the yeast cake on bottom of primary, but is this true for washed yeast? I was thinking that I could just pitch into any beer style I make when I wash the yeast. Any opinions? Thanks in advance.

If beer 1 was very high alcohol, you might not have a lot of viable yeast, but going from a 6% beer to a 4% beer shouldn't cause any problems. The color issue is because you might have some flavors/colors sneak into the new beer. Since we're talking about a very small amount of fluid that's been washed, you shouldn't have any serious issues. I'm of the opinion that what settled out once will settle out again. If you make a starter, you'll ensure healthy yeast and dilute out some of those other compounds you wanted to get rid of.

Latest posts

Back