Highest alcohol for reusing yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyjerky214

Reaction score
I've always heard that you don't want to reuse yeast if it's from a beer that's over 7%. Now I'm starting to hear people say that if you pitched the proper amount, you can go up to around 8%.

What's the highest alcohol percentage beer you've harvested from? I've got 11 gallons of an 8% lager that took me forever to build up enough yeast for, and there's going to be so much, I'd really like to rinse and reuse it.

I go up to about 7%, but I've found that the higher I go, the less viable my yeast is and the slower it ferments the next beer.

7-8 here. I tried higher before and got bad results. Not very viable and had a horrible time bottle conditioning that beer. I typically try to only reuse yeast from my lower abv brews.

Thanks, guys. Looks like I'm moving on to some fresh stuff. Planning on doing a Helles, a Vienna lager, and a Märzen with a fresh batch of WLP 830.

Back