Smoked Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
I am probably getting a little ahead of myself, since I've only done one AG batch, and messed it up a bit. However, I've been reading some about Rauchbeer and Smoked porters and such. I've gots me a small electric smoker, use it to smoke poke chops and such before I put them on the grill.....

It's like this one:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...xt=smoker&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=4808&trueNum=32

Could I use this to smoke malt for the above beer styles? Figure I could get some fine screen and put that on the grills, spread the malt on top and smoke away! Would I just use Hickory or mesquite? Or is there a certain wood to use for those styles?

Allan

I don't smoke malt. Marijuana, cigars, pipes, crack, and cigarettes, yes. But I don't smoke malt.

So.. uhh.. how good is the buzz? :drunk:

Another awesome resource for smoked beers is the Classic Beer Style Series "Smoked Beers" by Ray Daniels and Geoff Larson. Larson brews a pretty good one called "Alaskan Smoked Porter", maybe you've heard of it, ;) , and Daniels is well, Ray Daniels. :eek:

Great book that goes into everythign you can imagine about smoked beers. I'm perusing it right now actually, putting together some info for bird on a smoked weizen beer. :rockin:

Back