1/2" Stainless Tube - Former Hydraulic Lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeRags

Reaction score
So, I've been tasked with dismantling some large food manufacturing equipment to scrap. Naturally, its all stainless steel, 300 series - the good stuff. There's quite a bit of hydraulic plumbing on this equipment thats all stainless tube, mostly 1/2" and some 1/4" with fittings galore. :rockin:

As I'm currently building my 20 gallon AG setup, I figure this will be perfect for plumbing. I already have some high temp brewers/vinters hose... but, hey... why not just plumb it all in stainless, right?

My question... How do I cleanse all the tube and fittings thouroughly? Still quite a bit of residual hydraulic oil in some of the lines.

Thanks!

Without knowing what type of hydraulic oil was used,(synthetic, Mineral oil, bio degradeable) here is a possible cleaning sequence.
Gross cleaning with mineral spirits/kerosene
Rinse with clean mineral spirits
Secondary clean with Acetone
Secondary rinse with clean Acetone
Air dry
Sniff test to see if solvent/oil residues detectable
Hot water immersion to see if oil sheen forms on water surface
Wear nitrile gloves during all cleaning as the rubber and pvc gloves do not work with the solvents, dont do this without gloves as i have found out the hard way that is not a good idea.
Do all cleaning outdoors away from any flame source unless you want to be on a first name basis with the fire department&EMT folks
If by chance there is a steam source in the facility you could pass steam through the tubing after the acetone clean to drive any oil/solvent residues out of the tubing

That plan doesnt sound too bad. I've used acetone a few times in the past. Never mineral spirits though. Its propably going to be pretty tough to clean all this up, but I think it will be worth it.

Thanks

Back