What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
St Twoer anniversary IPA
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401930126.312164.jpg

Mike who? Mike ****! :D LGR

Agua!

Wanna make a wager on this series? I'll take the Kings straight up. I got a couple growlers from Tired Hands and some homebrew...or anything else you might want from the Philly market...for some NEBCO. I'm good for it (even though I won't end up owing you **** after LA hoists another cup), and we can PM our personal info. What do ya say?

Chicken killer barley wine. I was worried about it after it got a bad review a few nights ago, but i think its pretty decent. Certainly not a great barley wine, but for five bucks a bomber i dont think you can beat it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401930973.467777.jpg

Where you headed? And where you been?!

Headed to Chicago. Still in Houston.
Edit: I just reread your post and now I'm assuming the question "where you been?" was in reference to me not posting with the other alchies here for a few days. I've been putting in some long days of work so I can take the time off for this trip. I squeezed a week of work into three days. I'm completely worn out and exhausted, but I'm able to take the trip and my little girl is so excited for her first time riding an airplane.

Wanna make a wager on this series? I'll take the Kings straight up. I got a couple growlers from Tired Hands and some homebrew...or anything else you might want from the Philly market...for some NEBCO. I'm good for it (even though I won't end up owing you **** after LA hoists another cup), and we can PM our personal info. What do ya say?

I'm not a betting man. LA has the advantage as they can downright score and are bigger and more physical.

No wonder why I can't stand anything in LA. :D

Drive a couple hours and head over here for a drunken day! ;)
Just got back from the bottle shop and having Griffin Claws new offering, Platinum Blonde. Very solid and almost to easy to pound down. Going down really well after spending the day on the beach @ Lake Michigan

1401931747480.jpg

Drive a couple hours and head over here for a drunken day! ;)
Just got back from the bottle shop and having Griffin Claws new offering, Platinum Blonde. Very solid and almost to easy to pound down.

If I was taking the trip alone, I would definitely be down for a drunken day in MI. But, with the family with me, I'll have to settle for a few drunken days in Chicago. :p

DDH 90 Minute. Looking at my science experiment. Is this enough slurry to make a 1L - 1.5L starter with?

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401932555.498514.jpg

Edit: I just reread your post and now I'm assuming the question "where you been?" was in reference to me not posting with the other alchies here for a few days. I've been putting in some long days of work so I can take the time off for this trip. I squeezed a week of work into three days. I'm completely worn out and exhausted, but I'm able to take the trip and my little girl is so excited for her first time riding an airplane.

Have fun man! Sounds like you need it and its well deserved

Water. I haven't had a drink in 3 days turns out I'm not an alcoholic I don't need to be drunk I just like to be. Good to know.

O nice man, have fun at your parents. And youre right, i was worried you hadnt put in enough time with us alchies :D. Enjoy your vacation!

DDH 90 Minute. Looking at my science experiment. Is this enough slurry to make a 1L - 1.5L starter with?

O yeah. Just remember that its always better to pitch more than you need, rather than less. Breweries pitch at a much much higher rate than we do

There ain't much more yeast than that in a white labs vial so I would say yes.

More St Twoer. Kind of bored with Tired Hands' IPAs/APAs. They all taste VERY similar. Had Only Void (RIS) and a variant earlier and that was really really good.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401934095.249846.jpg

Had this amazing beer last night
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401934390.770838.jpg

This after work
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401934421.076478.jpg

And carb test for brew club meeting Saturday on the chocolate peanut butter stout thanks again for the recipe 619brewer
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401934523.389664.jpg

Hard to tell. Is that a pint or half-pint jar? If it's a pint jar, then yeah, I think it is, but a half pint I wouldn't think so

I'm going to be a total tourist here...maybe you've been to Chicago many times. I've been once. I went during the Taste of Chicago in 2011...I found that a little disappointing. And, unlike NYC and some other big cities, there didn't seem to be much nightlife. As a hotdog lover though, I had some great options...a couple I just didn't make it to, but had a few good ones.

One thing that was definitely on my list though, was to eat at Rick Bayless' little casual restaurant, "XOCO" (pronounced "show-coe"). I just looked up their website and was surprised that they have an interesting Beer list of bottles, cans and bombers...not cheap, but then, what restaurant is? The menu of food is very reasonable for the quality, though. I think I had the pork belly caldos,,,found a photo...and loved it. The Conchinita Pibil torta sounds excellent, too. They also make churros with chocolate drink...and the chocolate is make from bean to chocolate in-store. Locals can chime in, but whose daughter wouldn't like to see churros and chocolate being made?! Have fun and don't miss The Ledge at the Willis Tower! http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/xoco/

Currently, I'm drinking the hb pale ale that I didn't get to last night.

DSC04929.jpg

IMAG0944.jpg

I'm going to be a total tourist here...maybe you've been to Chicago many times. I've been once. I went during the Taste of Chicago in 2011...I found that a little disappointing. And, unlike NYC and some other big cities, there didn't seem to be much nightlife. As a hotdog lover though, I had some great options...a couple I just didn't make it to, but had a few good ones.

One thing that was definitely on my list though, was to eat at Rick Bayless' little casual restaurant, "XOCO" (pronounced "show-coe"). I just looked up their website and was surprised that they have an interesting Beer list of bottles, cans and bombers...not cheap, but then, what restaurant is? The menu of food is very reasonable for the quality, though. I had a Torta Ahogada and loved it. The Conchinita Pibil sounds excellent, too. They also make churros with chocolate drink...and the chocolate is make from bean to chocolate in-store. Locals can chime in, but whose daughter wouldn't like to see churros and chocolate being made?! Have fun and don't miss The Ledge at the Willis Tower! http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/xoco/

Currently, I'm drinking the hb pale ale that I didn't get to last night.

I've been to one of Bayless' restaurants and he is the man. They also carry one or two GI exclusives, which are really good.

I've been to one of Bayless' restaurants and he is the man. They also carry one or two GI exclusives, which are really good.

I wasn't into good beer then, like I am now...probably a good thing! saved money! Watched Bayless' cooking shows on TV for years. His daughter Lainie actually sat right next to us and chatted with a family that she knew for a good 15 minutes. She was kind of goofy on the show, but seemed very smart and professional in-person...and prettier too! Anyway, good time.

Going to grab a hb IPA and call it a night! I brewed same time as Hello and she had issues with hers. I hope she pulls off a win, somehow! Mine is very crisp and bitter...I wouldn't mind a touch of malt sweetness. It's probably a technical win for mine...I'm still learning the styles. The IPA, DIPA and Imperials and barleywines are still on my horizon...just starting to come into focus.

DSC04806.jpg

I wasn't into good beer then, like I am now...probably a good thing! saved money! Watched Bayless' cooking shows on TV for years. His daughter Lainie actually sat right next to us and chatted with a family that she knew for a good 15 minutes. She was kind of goofy on the show, but seemed very smart and professional in-person...and prettier too! Anyway, good time.

Going to grab a hb IPA and call it a night! I brewed same time as Hello and she had issues with hers. I hope she pulls off a win, somehow! Mine is very crisp and bitter...I wouldn't mind a touch of malt sweetness. It's probably a technical win for mine...I'm still learning the styles. The IPA, DIPA and Imperials and barleywines are still on my horizon...just starting to come into focus.
i gave you a bottle of mine and it was bottled from the keg so drink it! I wondered if you did because remember, it wasn't all the way full because I had issues?

i gave you a bottle of mine and it was bottled from the keg so drink it! I wondered if you did because remember, it wasn't all the way full because I had issues?

F**k!!! I completely forgot about that! I looked in my fridge and couldn't find it. I thought I remembered it being a bomber, so I didn't think I had drunk it without knowing what it was. I just went out and searched my van...almost gave up and spotted the bag on the floor, under a back seat! How the...? Anyway...I am SO sorry. I have it chilling on ice right now and I'm going to drink it in about 10 minutes, but I'm sure being in the car for days has not done it any favors.

So, the rest of what was in the keg continued to be an issue and you're trying to go sour with it?

Okay...looks like I'm up later than most. Weekday and all, I know. The kids are tracked out, between grades, from year round school...so they'll sleep past noon if I let them. As long as it looks like I'm up when SWMBO is, I can go back for a nap...as long as I get some stuff done at some point before she gets home!

I had to do a side by side on IPA's that Hello and I brewed at the same time. Honestly, as you can see in my previous post, I screwed up and let her beer sit in my car for several days. God only knows what effect that had on what I was drinking. I'm sure that affected the carb, at least.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to rating/critiquing beers, I'm still such a newbie. So, I'm not going to go through that here, it wouldn't be fair or accurate. What I will do is show a side by side photo...with the disclaimer about how I screwed up by leaving Hello's in the car, so I don't know how that might have affected flavor and aroma, but I'm assuming the carb was an obvious victim. The main thing I wanted to show here, is two beers brewed at the same time, using the same recipe, hers done regular all grain procedures, mine BIAB and look at the difference in color. Yes, there was a a difference in hops aroma/flavor. both bitter, but different. I just don't know how much of that was affected by bottling from keg vs bottle conditioning and my leaving Hello's in the car for days! Oh, and as Remmy would say, "Smacked!"...not my smartest move this late. Anyway, here's the pick:

DSC04933.jpg

On the mertha flerkin coca cola. After a delayed flight and almost everything that could possibly go wrong, we're finally here. Since I started work early yesterday, I've officially been up for over 24 hrs straight. Sucks! But we made it. And I needed an early morning snack. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401959550.363589.jpg

Latest posts

Back