Force Carbonation 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I got my cornies and I moved my Kolsch out of the secondary into a keg last night. I did not prime it.

I still don't have a regulator and fittings yet...but I'm close. I plan to let this keg age in the garage (39 degrees) for a couple more weeks anyway, but I'm wondering:

Once I get gas set up, can you give me the ABC's of doing a forced carbonation? Note that this keg has about 6 inches of head space (darn trub) if that makes a difference.

An also question: Will a keg of beer "condition" differently once it is force carbonated? I don't want to halt any flavor improvements by being impatient about carbonating. This is a Kolsch, and I understand that patience is a virtue.

Thanks...

You can just hook it up at serving pressure and let it sit for a week. That's what I usually do. If you're in a hurry, you can shake it. If you're in a BIG hurry, you can crank up the psi to 30 and shake it.

Just make sure to purge the oxygen from the top of the keg. Just pull the relief valve a few times.

I would let the beer age for as long as you feel is needed in your basement or somewhere and when you think it's ready, hook it up to about 10-12 psi and let it sit another 5 days or so and it will be carbonated nicely. If you want it faster, crank in more gas and shake the keg... Remember, forced carbonation is not a replacement for aging.. Your beer will still need the same conditioning time as with bottling for a better tasting beer.
You can also hook up the gas at serving pressure and have it sit for 2-3 weeks.. I've done that and the beer tasted great. and yes, purge the oxygen out by using the release valve a few times.. very important.

Hope this helps...

Back