big beer with no secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldebrewer

Reaction score
I would like to make a "big" beer--something with an OG of .08-.09 It would be an extract brew with steeping grains.

I usually ferment my beers in primary for 2 to 3 weeks and bottle directly.

Is it possible to make a good tasting, high OG beer without a secondary by allowing time in the primary and aging in the bottle ?

with my 1.090 Belgian Dark Strong...I did 1 month in primary, then bottled...it took 3-4 months for it to carb and condition, and lose it's rocket fuel taste.

And it is worth it....

Whether you age it in the bottle or in secondary...big beers need time....you just have to decide where you want to have the beer spend it's time. In a carboy or in cases....

Last batch I brewed a Belgian Triple. OG = 1075

I just let it sit in primary for 4 weeks, and I will let it rest in bottles for 2 months.

It would have been great that I had brewed this two months earlier so now I could give you the results of what I did, but I must wait till mid August. (And I'm sure you won't wait so long to brew it, will you?)

Mine had two candi sugar additions (on top of the one in the boil) I did a 1 pound homemade candi syrup addition after the krauzen fell, another Krauzen formed, and when that one fell I added the final pound addition...SO my beer had three krauzens.

I'm thinking about either a strong Belgian style or an Imperial Russian stout. Maybe the plan is to brew up the high OG beer and then fill the pipeline with lighter stuff to drink while the heavy beers age. Marius, let us know how that Tripel turns out.

We just had a house guest here for a few days and that was great. But it put my already shaky brewing schedule further behind.

Back