Stout not dark enough...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhammonds

Reaction score
I recently made a Foreign Stout using a new malt mill. Unfortunately, many of the roasted barley "fell through" unscathed. As it turned out, my stout is more of chocolate brown and not nearly dark enough for my liking. What suggestions do you have?

I have heard Sinamar works well (Weyermann®).

However, has anyone tried steeping a pound of roasted barley in a quart of water and adding it to the secondary? Thoughts? The roasty taste could use a boost as well.. that's why i ask. Thanks.

First you'll need to figure out what's up with the mill. It doesn't matter what malt you use if it doesn't get crushed. When the mill is working, try adding 1/2 pound of black patent malt. That should darken it to your liking.

Tom

I would go with the mini-mash of roasted barley. Any more than 1/4 lb of black patent will be too astringent. And roasted barley in a stout is a must have. IMO.

What ratios, water volume, grain weight, and boil times do you recommend?
I was thinking 1/2 lb. of roasted barley, 2 quarts of 153 degree mash--hold for 30 min. Bring to a boil for 20 min., cool, then add to secondary. Thoughts?

Depends what is in the grain bill so far. I would go 1/2 pound. You could go up to a pound if there's nothing else dark in there. What's in there so far? Chocolate will give you a coffee flavour, and I would use up to 1/4 pound of it. Black patent is to be used sparingly, but will also give you a roasted flavour, but more astringent. You're not getting alot of starch out of this, so the mash doesn't matter so much. But what you have stated there would be fine.

Thanks for the posts. I want to stay away from both patent and chocolate. It's a real fruity bill (special B, C120, etc...), but I wanted a nice roasted finish with the roast barley. Thanks again for the help!

Back