Overcarbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
I have a batch that I bottled about 4-5 weeks ago atleast and it is now extremly over-carbed. It is carbed to th point that it is almost like soda. If I were to just take the caps off and let them sit for a few minutes then recap them will this help and will it cause any problems? If i should do this about how long should i leave it uncapped? Thanks.

Did you properly chill the bottle or open it at room temp?

If you degass you would need to have the bottles at room temp. Cold beverage holds on to CO2.

I'd crack the top but not remove the cap. Let them sit for an hour or so and then recap. The length of rest time really depends on how OC'd your beers are. They sound severely OC'd. You can always do a few bottles first...recap and chill and then taste test.

When you recap, give the bottle a slight rocking to get the beer to foam. Then you'll be capping on foam (CO2) and not oxygen.

Thanks, I have 12 in the fridge and those were the ones I tried. Ive had maybe 5 I think. The rest are still in the basement at room temp so I will try it with those. Thanks.

How long were they in the fridge? You gotta chill beer 48 hours to really gauge bottle carbonation.

Back