Brown Porter Vs Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterTheBrew

Reaction score
Hello,

I am entering a holiday porter into a BJCP sanctioned competition and I am not sure what sub category my beer falls in. It has some characteristics of both a brown Porter and a robust porter. What can I use to determine which type of Porter my beer best fits?

What's the ABV? Brown is 4 - 5.4, Robust is 4.8-6.5. So if higher, than enter as robust.

From the BJCP guidelines: Robust porter usually has black patent or roast notes present, while Brown porter is sweeter, softer and caramel notes are present. Brown has lower gravities than Robust.

Browns are considered "English"...usually English hops and English or Irish yeast is used.

Any special ingredients that would allow it to fall under 21B Christmas/Winter beer?

If you can post your recipe, it may help those who read this to give you a better idea.

It's 4.7 ABV and it is not sweet.. I used a bit of black patent. So it tastes a bit toasty and smooth chocolate flavor.

I brewed with cinnamon,nutmeg,ginger, cardamom orange and Fig to give it its holiday spice

If it got spices added I wouldn't enter it in the porter category at all, go with category 23 specialty beer.

I'm entering at as 21B christmas/winter specialty but was trying to determine the basic beer style. Based on flavor and being 1 pt off for the ABV of a robust I'm going robust! Thanks for the replies!

Back