Single infusion VS mash and sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I have completed 2 AG batches, BIAB, and I did a mash followed by a sparge. I did this because my BK would not fit all the water and all the grains in 10 gallon batch in a 15 gallon BK. My usual MO is to do 5 gallon batches, and I'm fixin to do 5 gallon AG next. Here's my question: do most people get better efficiency by doing a single infusion with all the water needed (In the fermenter plus boil off plus absorption) or mashing at 1.5 Qt/Gal followed by a separate sparge with thae balance of the water? I'm a squeezer if it makes a difference.

By most accounts (and even brewing journals) sparging yields higher efficiency. It does a really good job at getting a lot of soluble sugars that might be otherwise left behind. Batch sparging (just dumping the sparge water in after draining the first runnings) is easy and works great, but fly sparging (trickling sparge water as you're draining) has been shown to get better efficiency. Either method I believe it is generally accepted that having the same or close amount of mash and sparge water yields better efficiency (i.e. mash-in with 4 gallons, sparge with 4 gallons)

What you're describing is called "No-Sparge Mash" and is becoming more common. I always do it for my session beers because I've found that no-sparge gives me a fuller-body that I wouldn't otherwise get given the OG.

EDIT: Don't believe the "don't squeeze" myth. Tannins and their astringent flavor only show up from too-high mash temperatures and high pH.

Back