sparge technique idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezhed

Reaction score
I decided to change from batch sparge to some form of fly for lack of a better term. I use a rectangular cooler for mash so I decided to come up with a way to gently keep water flowing over my grain bed. Forgive me if this is old but I hadn't seen it. I took a very thin piece of plexiglass and cut it to fit inside cooler on a lip that the top hits. I drilled a mess of 1/4 dia. Holes in it. I just lay a hose on top and let sparge water flow and drip thru holes to maintain my water level above the bed. Worked great.....just wanted to share.

Will try...got to find how to do that :) actually I have another feature on it as well but haven't quite perfected it yet. Pics will show it.

I use Photobucket for hosting any pics I need, whether for this site or whatever. You just upload to the photobucket.com, and it gives you a code that you paste right into here. Its also free. Flickr is another one, if you use yahoo already.

useless.jpg

Cool simple idea - is plexi food grade? Come to think of it you could use a cutting board in the same way - if you can find one big enough.

Here is the plastic...actually mine is a piece of corrugated plastic with channels from a greenhouse kit. I used this after trying the plexiglass just cuz I had it
2725-spargeplate.jpg

What I thought I would do is try to get the sparge water to come out with enough force to come through the water can sprinker head I drilled out to even spray the water around some more. There's a gap at each end of the piece as you can see hopefully in the first pic.
It works pretty well without that so far but I may try to get that to work as well.
2726-spargeplate2.jpg

Back