Summer Ale Temp and Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalvinB

Reaction score
I've brewed one batch of wit bier last year and it turned out nicely and finally able to brew again with some free time.

I really would like to try the Sam Adam's Summer Ale clone from Austin but I'm confused about the schedule of how long it should be in primary, if a secondary is needed and at what temps are recommended. I know I can lookup the temp for fermentation on which yeast I select, but questions like how long if any time in a secondary is needed and how long in the bottle before trying...

I really like how northerbrewer provides a very detail set of instructions so if I order the kit from austin will a set or similar instructions be included?

I'm trying to plan out usage of equipment since I'd also like to attempt an oktoberfest in july.

thanks!

The kit will come with instructions. After reading your post I went an ordered me a Summer Ale Clone:mug:

Welcome.

Yes, Austin Homebrew provides very detailed instructions so you will be set there. That being said, the instructions are still just a general guideline and your own process and desired results will likely change how your brew goes.

Since the Sam Adams Summer Ale clone comes with a selection of pretty clean tasting yeast and not an actual wheat strain you don't have to worry so much about getting overwhelming banana esters if the temp is too high. That being said, the lower you keep the temps for either california, american, or nottingham yeast will result in a more crisp and clean overall flavor. That means you should aim to do your fermentation in the 65 degree range and try to keep it under 70 for best results.

As far as time goes, you're likely looking at a 10-14 day primary fermentation and racking to secondary is not really needed or desired if you're replicating a wheat style. Your hydrometer will tell you when fermentation is done and that may happen in just a few short days, but for best results you will still want to leave it in the primary for a week or two so that the yeast can clean up after themselves and produce a better overall flavor.

Finally, you'll more than likely use the 3 weeks at room temp rule for bottling. It will probably carb up a little quicker than that but you also want to give the beer time to condition. So plan on 3 weeks for a final product, but you'll probably be trying your first one after about a week ;)

Thank you for the detailed info, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have a freezer with a Digital Temperature Controller so I'll be able to control the temperature very closely.

Latest posts

Back