3 out of 4 rhizomes growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigvu

Reaction score
So I planted 4 different varieties about 6 weeks ago. My Cascade, Fuggle, and Kent Goldings are all growing like crazy (3+ ft. tall), but my Chinook (the one i was most excited about) isn't more than 1" tall. Any thoughts on how to revive growth on this one? All were planted in the same pots, soil, and are in the same location now. On a southern facing side of my apt building, so they're getting about 8 hours a day of sunlight, and all appear to be healthy.

As long as it's showing signs of life, you should leave it alone. Fertilizing at this point could possibly damage the plant. Some hops tend to be a little slower than others. Either way, you won't get much of a yield this year. Letting it go and continuing to water it will help build the roots so you get better growth next year.

If you decide to use fertilizer, then go with a slow release fertilizer.

Last year my Chinook was my slowest grower. It was easily half the height of the rest of my hops. When I wrote it off as "next years yield" it came back, shot up, grew taller than my other plants and produced my highest 1st year yield plant (6 dried ounces). As a 2nd year plant, it's my strongest plant.

I've written this before, different hops produce at different times and generate different yields. If your not comparing same hop to same hop, don't compare them.

Back