Basic terminology... and everything else

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenLongneck

Reaction score
Alright guys im trying my hand at cider as well. Unlike most of you it seems I didnt read up ahead of time I just took the plunge by filling a 5 gallon carboy with 4 gallons of cider and champagne yeast, popping on an airlock and hoping for the best. Brewing of one kind or another seems like just about the most rewarding hobby I can think of so I want to get a good start so I can be doing this right soon. Ok so first question is have I done anything wrong yet? I didnt hear anything about adding sugar when I was talking with the guys at the home brewing store so I want to know if thats essential. Also, I dont get the whole concept of racking to a secondary carboy, and whether or not that is necessary. 2 final things. What does OG stand for and back to my currently brewing cider how long should I let it brew before bottling and then how long to mature before drinking. Thanks a lot,
Tucker

Hey dude-

You don't have to necessarily add sugar- it would raise your ABV and it might (might) get things bubbling faster, but it is not required. You will just have a lower-alcohol, but still delicious, cider.

So- you seem to have done it right! I'd give it at least a week, if not two, in the primary - basically, wait until it has completely stopped bubbling.

Then, stick it in a secondary container for... a month? At least a month, I'd say.

Bottle it with your priming sugar, and drink up in about 3 months or later. (Earlier than that, cider can have some weeeiiirrddd flavors).

I got it, thanks for the reply. Im thinking though about adding sugar now since it only started two days ago, I want at least the alcohol content to equal beer. Also I still dont understand why you switch it to a second container.

Even without adding sugar you should get a ABV of about 5%, which is well above BMC type beers. Also champagne yeast will give you a very dry cider. if you are looking for something a bit less dry you can also use just about any ale yeast you like. If your like me and dont like sparkling cider (carbonated) you dont need priming sugar.

The Secondary is probably the dumbest named thing brewers use, since 95% of your fermentation is done in the primary. The secondary fermenter should be called a settling tank since thats really the main purpose of it. Sure the last little tiny bit of sugars are converted in it but the main (and to me the only) reason to use a secondary is just to help you to get all the shat to settle out of your brew/cider.

OG stands for Original gravity. If ya have a hydrometer check the specific gravity of your apple juice and thats the OG. After it's all done fermenting thats your FG or final gravity. IF and thats a big if for me I check the gravity at all I usally check it when I first put the juice into the carboy, then again 3 weeks later, then again on the 4th week. If the 4th week gravity is the same (or real damn close) to the 3rd weeks SG then I stick the cider into a secondary and let it sit. I'm in no hurry when it comes to my cider so I'll let it sit inthe secondary for 2 months befor I bottle.

Time is your friend when it comes to cider. I have a batch of spiced cider I made last year that I have only sampled once so far and am gonna wait until about Thanksgiving befor I sample it again. I'm hoping it will be ready for Christmas time this year but if it's not I'm more then willing to let it sit until Christmas of '07. I would plan on a minimum of 3 months befor ya sample any and then sample a bottle a week until it's what ya like.

aight thanks for all the info, i cant wait to sample this stuff. congratulations everybody youve all found the coolest hobby there is.

Cider can be just as simple as you've done it. If you don't need the fermenter for something else, leave it there until it clears, about 1-2 months.

Typically, apple juice will give you an ABV of 5-6% without anything else added.

Back