What will happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhuff

Reaction score
Hello! I am going back over my notes that I took before and after my first brew last night and I realized something I did wrong. I was making only a half batch (2.5 gal) and I got a bit caught up in the excitment of it all plus trying to remember all the important things not to do and I steeped enough crushed crystal malt for a 5 gal instead. It is a simple pale ale recipe, but it sure is dark.

It is all happy and bubbly as I write this, but I am wondering what is the possible outcomes might be and should I do anything to the batch when I prime it to correct this mistake?

Either way, I am excited about starting this hobby and I will happily try over and over again. :mug:

Glad I found this forum!

-Jay

you might get more flavor and color but I would have been more concerned with more malt extract than grains. What was your SG?

sorry, I have no idea what SG means. I just jumped into all this about a week ago. I did use 3lbs of malt extract- which the recipe called for, but I was only suppose to use 8oz of crushed crystal malt and I used 16oz.

did you take a hydrometer reading? It might be higher than expected so you will have a little higher alcohol content.

The outcome will depend partially on what lovibond degree your crystal malt was. For example, crystal 10L is much lighter and has a different flavor profile than crystal 120L. Do you remember which crystal malt you used? Regardless, it will be beer after all is said and done.

Thanks for all the replies. This was my first shot at this and I kind of bare-boned it just to see if this was something I would like to delve into more. That being said, I don't have a hydrometer (yet) and all I know about the crystal malt was that it was light.

I was following a procedure on instructables.com on giving brewing a test run. That website was http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Beer/

I did one upgrade and have a 3 gal carboy. I believe half batches are all I will brew, but who knows. So far I like it and can't wait until I can test my first batch.

Once this goes to bottles, I would like to try a hefeweizen. Can anyone suggest a good extract recipe?

Once this goes to bottles, I would like to try a hefeweizen. Can anyone suggest a good extract recipe?

Extract hefe's are fairly easy. 7 lbs. of wheat LME (with a late addition to keep it light), About 3/4-1 oz. Hallertauer at the beginning of the boil and 1/2 oz. of Tettnanger or Saaz near the end and most importantly, a German hefe yeast like White Labs WLP300. There are different variations but if you did something similar to this you'd get a decent hefe. BTW, this is for five gallons so step it down accordingly or, better yet, get bigger carboys.

Back