California Common California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning on brewing this on Saturday and will be my first beer that I have done water adjustments on.

I looked up the San Francisco water report, I figure when they first made this, I doubt they adjusted their water, although I am sure their water has changed since then too, so these number are probably not worth anything.

caco3: 59
ca 15
mg 5.4
ph 9
na 14
so4 17.6
cl 9

Pretty soft water really. I am planning to adjust to the following.

ca 70
mg 20
na 12.3
so4 136
cl 63.8
HCO3 60

I will have to dilute my tap water with 1 part tap, 2 parts distilled to get down to 60 HCO3

This should play on the bitterness of the NB hops though.

How does this look. Has anyone done this recipe with water adjustments?

This is my first time so I am a little paranoid. I think the key may be to use soft water and play up on the bitterness a little bit.

This looks really good, I think I may do this next (but probably not for a couple of weeks, unfortunately... too much family stuff getting in the way of brewing :cross:).

I'm going to be brewing this up this weekend, but my recipe is a bit modified (using Yooper's as a base):

1/2lb 60L, 1/4lb 120L, 1/2lb Victory malt, 6lb Golden Light DME

Same hops schedule, though my NB is at 8.5%AA (only raised IBU from 40 to 43, so I won't bother changing the amounts).

YooperBrew, I'm using liquid yeast for the first time (I loves me my Safale). Does this recipe work best with a starter when using WLP810? I've heard that White Labs' yeasts don't normally require a starter...

Here's a shot of mine, it's not as hazy as it looks.

brewday008.jpg

Does this recipe work best with a starter when using WLP810? I've heard that White Labs' yeasts don't normally require a starter...

Im starting to use this as one of my three house strains. I would recommend a starter, as would Jamil Z.. just have to use the hybrid fermentation setting. If you were at the upper end of the style (1.054) for 5.5 gals and yeast with 75% viability, you'd be good with a vial in a 2L starter.

If you ferment in the low 60's, it can take some time. I have a big Cali Common going right now with OG 1.061, and 13 days later is 1.031 (with steady CO2 generation) with a 4L starter on 10gal going @ 60°F; I suppose the WLP810 attenuation is supposed to reach 70% (1.019 for this beer), but Ive gotten up to 76% attenuation before (which would be 1.014).

Also, I use Chinook and Cascades.. no NB for me. Style guidelines are there to be, well, guidelines :mug:

Whoah - just read the posts about the long fermentation times for this beer and now I'm slightly worried. I brewed it on saturday (my first AG!), made a 1L starter, and have been using the swamp cooler to keep it at around 62 (since I read somewhere that that's what Anchor ferments at). I know the 1L starter was probably a bit small, but I had airlock activity within 10 hours so I'm thinking I'm ok there.

Trouble is, I'm planning on brewing again this Friday, and my swamp cooler's only big enough for one fermenter. So will this beer be ok if I take it out and let it warm to room temps to finish up? That will mean it'll ferment at 62 for 6 days, then 68-70 for another 2-3 weeks. I definitely don't have lager capabilities, but if I have to I can keep this one in the swamp cooler indefinitely. But I don't want to have to put off Friday's brewday for another few weeks (or ferment my next beer too warm), just to keep this one cold!

Suggestions or reassurances?

Whoah - just read the posts about the long fermentation times for this beer and now I'm slightly worried. I brewed it on saturday (my first AG!), made a 1L starter, and have been using the swamp cooler to keep it at around 62 (since I read somewhere that that's what Anchor ferments at). I know the 1L starter was probably a bit small, but I had airlock activity within 10 hours so I'm thinking I'm ok there.

Trouble is, I'm planning on brewing again this Friday, and my swamp cooler's only big enough for one fermenter. So will this beer be ok if I take it out and let it warm to room temps to finish up? That will mean it'll ferment at 62 for 6 days, then 68-70 for another 2-3 weeks. I definitely don't have lager capabilities, but if I have to I can keep this one in the swamp cooler indefinitely. But I don't want to have to put off Friday's brewday for another few weeks (or ferment my next beer too warm), just to keep this one cold!

Suggestions or reassurances?

Reassurances, you will be fine, the beer should be done fermenting after 6 days and moving it to room temp should be ok, leave it for 2-3 weeks more and then try to cool it down as cold as you can so all the stuff that is in suspension will fall to the bottom and you can rack the beer off to another container before you keg or bottle.

Reassurances, you will be fine, the beer should be done fermenting after 6 days and moving it to room temp should be ok, leave it for 2-3 weeks more and then try to cool it down as cold as you can so all the stuff that is in suspension will fall to the bottom and you can rack the beer off to another container before you keg or bottle.

Cool, thanks much. Thought I'd be fine but after reading that post about the 2-3 week fermentation time I got a little worried. But you're right - most if not all of fermentation should probably be done by 6 days. I'm thinking this one'll be hitting its peak sometime around the beginning of December. Awesome.

Dang - 7 days after brewing, that yeast is still chuggin' away! Haven't taken a gravity sample yet, but my ale pail is somewhat translucent and I can still see a small-ish layer of krausen at the top. And the airlock is bubbling every 5-6 seconds or so. I've kept it at 62 in the swamp cooler all week, but in a few hours I'll need to put today's brew up in there (it's boiling as I write - Orfy's Mild). So I guess I'll have to let to warm up to room temps. Hopefully it'll still finish fine.

Anyway, think the earlier poster is right - if you ferment in the low 60's, it'll take a while!

Must be right. I had mine at 65 for two weeks; reading today was 1.016, down from 1.061, in a bucket. Tasted good, though I think I detected a tiny bit of butter flavor. 1qt starter for a vial of WLP810.

After the last post, I upped the temp in the bucket to 70ºF for a week as a diacetyl rest, and the flavor smoothed out nicely. Two weeks in the the bottles, and it was very drinkable. Another week, and it's now one of my best brews, and everyone who tried it today was really happy with it and wanted more.

I'll be doing this one again in a couple of months (three other recipes in the pipe to finish first). The mini-mash of Victory malt will definitely stay, though I think I may lower the 6# of light DME to 5# and add a pound of sugar. It just wasn't dry enough this time around. I think another ounce of NB in the last five minutes (with half at flameout) would pep it up a bit. Maybe a quarter ounce of Magnum at start of boil would be better... I think it just needs a bit more bitterness.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again for this great recipe, Yooper!

EXPERIMENTAL RECIPE MOD! Brew at your own risk... :drunk:

Yoop, I'm hoping you can take a look at this and tell me if I'm on the right track. I was very happy with the recipe for extract you listed here (and I did add a half pound of Victory malt in the steep per recommendations), but mine came out a bit sweeter than I had planned (I was a couple of points above your OG, but one point below your FG).

I made a few mods to the recipe based on my tastes. I'm hoping to dry it out a bit, and bring some more of that excellent Northern Brewer hops character to the front of the stage. Here's the recipe as I'd like to try it. See what you think. Is the sugar idea too much (should I just drop the amount of DME instead)? This would be the first time I've brewed using table shugga... :mug:

Thanks!

Oops - sorry, all. The ZIP file has a BeerXML file and a PDF of the recipe.

View attachment Extract Cali Common (YooperBrew) - MOD.zip

This was my first attempt at a recipe that wasn't from a box. I got if from the net:
3.3lbs briess LME light malt extract
3lbs briess DME light malt extract
1/2 pound, crystal malt
2 ounces, Northern Brewer hops (11 alpha) (boil)
1 ounce, Cascade hops (5.6 alpha) (finish)
WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast

OG was 1.056
When I moved to secondary gravity was 1.020

Pour 1 gallon water into brewpot. Crush grains and add to brewpot. Bring to boil. Remove grains. Add malt extract. Add 1/3 of the boiling hops. After 20 minutes, add another 1/3 of hops. After another 20 minutes add the last 1/3 of hops. After another 20 minutes, remove from heat and add finishing hops. Cover wort. Pour 3 gallons cold water into fermenter. Strain wort into fermenter along with enough water to make 5-1/2 gallons. Pitch yeast and put in blowoff tube or airlock.

just brewed this up and its chugging away.

the recipe says 1 week primary and 2 weeks secondary. does that mean transfer to secondary when its done fermenting, or can i keg and let it condition for 4 more weeks. i plan on tapping the keg in 5 weeks.

I got a hold of some California Common yeast. To my shame I've never tried Anchor Steam beer, but this recipe is beautiful in its simplicity, so I'm going to give it a go.

It's going to be a weird British version though with MO and Munton's light crystal. Sorry about that.

Thanks for posting.

Phil

Looking for a second brew for tomorrow. This would have been my choice if I could have gotten the yeast before now. Alas, I'm stuck using ale yeast. Which reminds me I need to call my friend and have him pick up some yeast at MBC tonight...

Tried Anchor steam and really liked it.

Whew! Just stepped up my starter of 2112 for my sunday brew of a beer based on this recipe and talk about diacetyl! I'm going to have to be sure to give this beer a diacetyl rest if the starter was any indication. Anyway, my recipe will have this grain bill with the addition of 2 oz of pale chocolate malt for some toastiness as per Jamil's suggestion. I'll also be aiming for 40 IBU with a 1 oz addition of NB at 15 and 1 oz at flameout. I just got another freezer so I'll be able to ferment this thing right at 62 degrees for all of primary (unless I need to warm it up to get rid of diacetyl!) Really looking forward to this one!

Whew! Just stepped up my starter of 2112 for my sunday brew of a beer based on this recipe and talk about diacetyl! I'm going to have to be sure to give this beer a diacetyl rest if the starter was any indication. Anyway, my recipe will have this grain bill with the addition of 2 oz of pale chocolate malt for some toastiness as per Jamil's suggestion. I'll also be aiming for 40 IBU with a 1 oz addition of NB at 15 and 1 oz at flameout. I just got another freezer so I'll be able to ferment this thing right at 62 degrees for all of primary (unless I need to warm it up to get rid of diacetyl!) Really looking forward to this one!

Sounds great! I just did the "other" recipe about 5 weeks ago, and it's lagering in the keg right now. Well, lagering in the keg isn't a great idea really. At least for me- because I hooked it up to the taps. Just for sampling purposes. And then, I took a growler off of it last night and sat out here at our cabin sampling it.

Anyway, I still like this recipe a bit better, and I think the changes you're making will make it over the top.

I just kegged the original recipe Fri. It's GOOD:tank: I had it in the primary for 7 days and secondary for 12 days at 65, then 70 for 2 days. Thanks for the recipe.

My brewday went extremely well. Got better than usual efficiency due to me tightening the gap on my barley crusher slightly. I conditioned the malt to compensate and it worked really well. Hit my predicted OG of 1.054 on the dot by adding some more water pre-boil and adjusting hops. Wort tasted really good and looked beautiful. It's sitting at 60 F right now. Tomorrow morning I'll let it ramp up to 62 where it will stay until either I rack to secondary or raise it slightly for a diacetyl rest. I've got a feeling it's going to be really good.

Sounds great! I just did the "other" recipe about 5 weeks ago, and it's lagering in the keg right now. Well, lagering in the keg isn't a great idea really. At least for me- because I hooked it up to the taps. Just for sampling purposes. And then, I took a growler off of it last night and sat out here at our cabin sampling it.

Anyway, I still like this recipe a bit better, and I think the changes you're making will make it over the top.

Modesterators should get extra storage space for private messages.... hint.... :D

Has wy2112 proven to be a vigorous fermenter for anyone else? I pitched last night at 60 F and this morning there was already a big krausen. I stuck a blow off tube on it and set the temp controller to 62 which is where I want it to ferment. It was blowing off like mad when I got home from work. I've always had pretty docile ferments from lager yeasts but then I've never fermented one so warm. Is this yeast always this blowoff-happy?

Has wy2112 proven to be a vigorous fermenter for anyone else? I pitched last night at 60 F and this morning there was already a big krausen. I stuck a blow off tube on it and set the temp controller to 62 which is where I want it to ferment. It was blowing off like mad when I got home from work. I've always had pretty docile ferments from lager yeasts but then I've never fermented one so warm. Is this yeast always this blowoff-happy?

Yes, I've had some pretty vigorous ferments with it!

The 2112 I used in this recipe filled a 6g better bottle and was blowing out the blow out tube. The BB had just under 5.5g of wort in it.

Would this style of lager be more 'true-to-style' to ferment at warmer temps (WITHIN the yeast profile range) rather than the lower end?

Just took a taste of this beer. It's been lagering for several weeks now and the flavor is great! I think I'm going to dry hop with an oz of Northern Brewer for a week or so then bottle. If I don't screw it up somehow it is going to be awesome!

Just took a taste of this beer. It's been lagering for several weeks now and the flavor is great! I think I'm going to dry hop with an oz of Northern Brewer for a week or so then bottle. If I don't screw it up somehow it is going to be awesome!

Is that going to be one of your HBT BJCP comp entries? I won't tell you how many beers are already in that category, but I assume you'd do incredibly well with that great recipe! :D

Would this style of lager be more 'true-to-style' to ferment at warmer temps (WITHIN the yeast profile range) rather than the lower end?

I don't know-- I get a little "fruity" out of it even at the lower temp, and I love the lager characteristics that come along with it. I've never done it above about 62, I don't think!

I do like the Wyeast California Lager strain better than the White Labs San Francisco strain, so I've been using the Wyeast for this beer. Maybe that would make a difference in the amount of fruity flavors at a higher temperature also.

I just kicked a keg of this, and it really was a good beer!

Is that going to be one of your HBT BJCP comp entries? I won't tell you how many beers are already in that category, but I assume you'd do incredibly well with that great recipe! :D

Yep, this beer will be in the comp. I've gotta buy some more tubing, an auto-siphon and a bottling wand first though. The last couple of batches I bottled developed an off-flavor so I'm being extra careful with this beer. It's so good straight from the fermenter, I can't even imagine how good it will be when bottled and carbed if I don't screw it up. I really like how the lagering has given it that crisp lager characteristic while leaving a little bit of the fruitiness for character. It has actually maintained a good hop presence through the lagering, but I think a bit of dry-hopping will give it that little kick so the judges can check off the style guidelines. Caramel? Check. Toasty? Check. Woody hops? Check. Slight fruitiness? Check.:D

I read through this thread (thanks by the way) lots of helpful tips for making my first California Common. My LHBS can only get White Labs strains so that's the SF Lager yeast I'll be going with.

I'm curious what size starters you guys made and how long it took to get going? I guess what I'm really wondering is can I make my starter Friday afternoon and brew this on Sunday morning? Just wondering if that will be enough time for this yeast.

Thanks!

Yep, this beer will be in the comp. I've gotta buy some more tubing, an auto-siphon and a bottling wand first though. The last couple of batches I bottled developed an off-flavor so I'm being extra careful with this beer. It's so good straight from the fermenter, I can't even imagine how good it will be when bottled and carbed if I don't screw it up. I really like how the lagering has given it that crisp lager characteristic while leaving a little bit of the fruitiness for character. It has actually maintained a good hop presence through the lagering, but I think a bit of dry-hopping will give it that little kick so the judges can check off the style guidelines. Caramel? Check. Toasty? Check. Woody hops? Check. Slight fruitiness? Check.:D

I just bottled this beer today without dryhopping. I like it so much as it is I didn't want to screw with it. Not to mention it has such a great clarity right now that I didn't want to mess it up by dry hopping. Now to wait for them to carb up.

Total NOOB question here - so I brewed this yesterday as my first AG batch. I have done countless extract and PMs in the past so I am not new to brewing by any means. My question is, why does this recipe say it is a 7 gal boil when the water required for mashing does not equal 7 gal? 13.75 qts + 7.7 qts = 21.45 qts or 5.36 gal. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

Total NOOB question here - so I brewed this yesterday as my first AG batch. I have done countless extract and PMs in the past so I am not new to brewing by any means. My question is, why does this recipe say it is a 7 gal boil when the water required for mashing does not equal 7 gal? 13.75 qts + 7.7 qts = 21.45 qts or 5.36 gal. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

First runnings wont yield 5.36 gallons; some of the water is still tied up in the grist. Youll still need to sparge with enough water (~3.5gallons @ ~190°F) to reach a preboil of 7 gallons. I think the extra 7.7qts is just to raise the temp to 168°F to stop conversion. Typically on an 1.050 beer, youll use about 9 gallons total with 1.5-2gallons still tied up in the wet grist, leaving 7 gallons in the kettle to boil down to 5.5 gallons.

I brewed this up yesterday and hit the numbers dead on! 154.1° F mash, OG was exactly 1050. The only wrench was the NB hops I had were 9.9%, not 8.0% so I had Beersmith calculate to keep the IBUs about the same -

0.8 oz. for 60 min
0.4 oz. for 15 min

I kept the 0 min hops quantity the same. I don't have a scale so I had to use symmetry to divide into equal portions, it should be close enough I'm hoping.

Anyway, my recipe will have this grain bill with the addition of 2 oz of pale chocolate malt for some toastiness as per Jamil's suggestion. I'll also be aiming for 40 IBU with a 1 oz addition of NB at 15 and 1 oz at flameout.

Last night I poured a bottle of this and bottle of the real anchor steam side by side for a little taste comparison. Appearance-wise, my beer was definitely darker, probbaly by 2 SRM or so. Both were crystal clear but the anchor had an off-white head while my beer had more of a shining white head. My beer was much stonger in aroma, with lots of sweet malt and caramel, looots of caramel. Nice NB hoppiness in there too but the caramel definitely dominated. Anchor steam was more subdued, much less caramel, less hoppiness. The flavor of mine was definitely sweeter, with again, tons of caramel. Anchor was drier and more crisp, not displaying nearly the same caramel flavors. Toastiness was very similar between the two, and the overall impression of the flavor was similar, despite my beer having a much more dominant caramel flavor.

Overall, I'm very happy with the recipe. My wife preferred mine due to its maltiness. The caramel isn't something that is at all overwhelming of off-putting, but it definitely sticks out when compared to a real anchor.

When I make this beer again, I'm going to drop the crystal malt to about 0.5 lbs. That should reduce the color and caramel flavors to more closely approximate anchor, and will also give the beer a better impression of dryness. That would only be to bring the beer closer to anchor, not to necessarily improve upon it. As it is it is very good, and I wouldn't doubt if most people who tried it like it better than anchor (like my wife). It's definitely more flavorful and malty with bigger hop presence. The only advantage I see anchor having is a bit better drinkability due to it being a bit more dry and crisp. In cold weather, give me my attempt, in hot weather, give me the anchor.

Just finished kegging the batch I brewed on 1/23 - 3 weeks and 3 days total. All my original numbers hit on brew day, and I was able to keep the temp very close to 55 during primary. I did a diacetyl rest at about 65 - 68 for three days and put it into the laundry room for two weeks. Temps there varied between 45 and 50.

Holy balls this tastes good, I can't wait for it to carb up.

Hello All! My first post to this board.

Brewed a 10 gallon batch of this yesterday. My starter was too small at about 1 quart but it's looking good. Krausen is about one inch at 20 hours after pitching. Just came alive in last hour or two.

My first time to use anything other than an ale yeast. I'm used to pitching in the evening and waking up to a full rockin' ferment. I was a little concerned earlier today.

Back