Boulder "Shake" Chocolate Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as a passing comment, I'd cut the lactose and just use a lower-attenuation yeast, unless it was known that they use US-05 for everything.

Also, this thread may be of interest in regard to chocolate additions :
Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate stout clone request

I am pretty certain that they do use at least a small amount of lactose in their Shake Chocolate Porter. I saw a post somewhere on a vegan website featuring several email replies stating that Shake is the only beer they make that is not vegan.

Well it’s been a while since I threw out the Nesquick joke but I am going to finally brew this thing in the next couple weeks. Will let you guys know how it comes out. I’m gonna add some Nesquick somewhere. Also going to add coconut just because it’s a tradition that I make coconut beer ever my Xmas. I think I’m gonna set aside some of it though without the coconut to taste test vs shake.

I actually made two small batches this month using the Cholaca + Cacao Nibs combo, which turned out great in the past. However, with Cholaca being so pricey, I thought I'd try making my own substitute. I know there is more to the manufacturing process, but all I did was get some raw cacao powder and emulsify it with water. The two ingredients in Cholaca are water and raw cacao, and there are 30 calories per ounce, or 960 calories per 32 oz container. So I just did some math to figure out how much raw cacao powder I'd need to make 32 oz, emulsified it and then gradually topped it off with more water until I had 32 oz. I believe it was 8.5 oz by weight of cacaco powder and I started out with 16 fl oz of warm water. I mixed it until it was very smooth (it was almost a chocolate frosting consistency) and then little by little mixed in an additional 8 fl oz of water. The trick is to start with a smaller amount of water so that as much of the powder as possible becomes moist. Starting with too much water won't allow as much powder to dissolve. This made almost exactly 32 oz of "Cholaca", which I stored in the fridge until I needed it. In fact, I still have a little left.

The results have been good so far. I will end up buying a bottle of Cholaca and splitting a batch to do a side-by-side later, but for me at least, the beer turned out really good. I really think that Cholaca along with lactose help give it that silky flavor and mouthfeel.

Welp I'm back - I used Seagondollar's recipe with a tablespoon of nesquick, 2 lbs of coconut and 6 oz of nibs

I don't know what happened but I have some pretty horrible head retention. Probably the secondary coconut. The taste is great though. Just trying to figure out if the nesquick or the coconut bombed my ability to carb up the beer. I may throw some chit malt into it next year when I try it again for xmas. I did also add 1lb of lactose in there which is probably very contrary to the Shake Porter (taste absolutely no lactose in Shake) but I was going for a creamy almond joy type of flavor. I'm pretty shocked that even with the lactose in there I couldn't get head retention and get it carbed up. I have a Belgian Golden Strong on the same CO2 tap and its head retention is almost *too* much.

Welp I'm back - I used Seagondollar's recipe with a tablespoon of nesquick, 2 lbs of coconut and 6 oz of nibs

I don't know what happened but I have some pretty horrible head retention. Probably the secondary coconut. The taste is great though. Just trying to figure out if the nesquick or the coconut bombed my ability to carb up the beer. I may throw some chit malt into it next year when I try it again for xmas. I did also add 1lb of lactose in there which is probably very contrary to the Shake Porter (taste absolutely no lactose in Shake) but I was going for a creamy almond joy type of flavor. I'm pretty shocked that even with the lactose in there I couldn't get head retention and get it carbed up. I have a Belgian Golden Strong on the same CO2 tap and its head retention is almost *too* much.
I saw a post somewhere where Boulder Brewing stated that Shake Chocolate Porter is not vegan friendly and does contain lactose.

Back