Help with Citra/Amarillo Pale ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdylantalbot

Reaction score
This will be my fourth time to brew and my first time to not use a Brewers Best or Austin Home brew kit. I'm looking to make a fruity tasting pale ale/IPA. Ive come up with a recipe on my own but am looking for some suggestions of anything to change or if you think it will turn out okay.

So far what I have is...

Steeping 1 lb of Pale Ale malt and 8 oz of Crystal 20L for 25 min in 2 gallons of water at 155 degrees. Adding 1 gallon of water and boiling then adding 3 lb of Wheat LME and 5 lb of extra pale LME.

My hop schedule is as follows: 1 oz Amarillo for 60 min
1 oz Amarillo and 1.5 oz Citra for 15 min
.5 oz Citra for 5 min
Planning to use White Labs California Ale WLP0001.

I think I have this plugged into BrewTarget correctly and it's giving me a OG of 1.062 and FG of 1.016 with 47 IBU's.

Does that sound right to everyone. Any suggestions please.

Here are my thoughts:
- Steeping the pale malt that way won't really give you anything, that needs to be mashed. I would skip it and just steep the crystal.
- I would take some of the 15 min addition and move it to 5 or later. Like .5 amarillo/.5 citra at 15 then do the rest of the 2 oz between 5 min and flameout.
- I would definitely do late addition on the extract, so boil about 3 lbs only then add the rest at flameout.
- are you going to dry hop? (hint, hint)
:mug:

Back