adding more sugar in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunggo

Reaction score
Hi,

I have started a batch of apfelwein and am using Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast. My starting SG is 1.098, which give about 14% ABV. However, the yeast will survive up to 18% alcohol. I didn't want to start at such high sugar levels because i was reading that high sugar levels might make the yeast very slow to start. I'm happy with 14%, but why not try for 18%?

So, what I want to do is mid-fermentation, take some SG readings to take the SG up to where it will add 4% more alcohol after some of the sugar has already been converted.

See any problem with this?

Tom

I did this with a mead I made, step fed it up to a bit over 18%.
Just be aware, typically it will be hot tasting and take a long time to age out, the higher the abv, the longer the aging time.

I'm happy with 14%, but why not try for 18%?

Tom

Because it will taste like rocket fuel and take 2-3 years to be drinkable? :p

That's really the only reason to keep the ABV lower. Even at 14%, it's going to taste really "hot" for a year or more.

Most of my wines are 12.5-13% ABV so that they can age a long time if I want to age them, but they are also drinkable in less than a year if I want to drink them before then.

Back