Recirculating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am nearing the end of a direct fire Rims system build and I am having trouble making a decision on a recirculating system or really just a sparging mechanism. I have a keggle mash tun with a false bottom and pumps with quick disconnects but I just can't seem to make a decision on a sparge arm approach.

Does anyone have a setup that they are proud of that would mind posting some pics?

I'll just post this up for an idea.

photo 3 by brewerJP

I don't have a combo bar like this now - I separated the recirc and sparge bars so I just switch them out depending on what I'm doing at the time. But principle wise it's still the same as what you see here: I send wort through the stainless tube up against the side of the kettle and right at the liquid line. I just adjust the height easily just by sliding the tube up or down.

When I sparge, I use the brass spray nozzle you see in the picture. It disburses the sprarge water in a very gentle, and very full cone pattern across the grain bed. I have the quick disconnect inside to easily flip the bar out.

Most people just lay silicone tubing right on top of the grain bed for sparging. I prefer a bit more coverage.

jcaudill said:
I'll just post this up for an idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57569099@N06/6959265033/
photo 3 by brewerJP

I don't have a combo bar like this now - I separated the recirc and sparge bars so I just switch them out depending on what I'm doing at the time. But principle wise it's still the same as what you see here: I send wort through the stainless tube up against the side of the kettle and right at the liquid line. I just adjust the height easily just by sliding the tube up or down.

When I sparge, I use the brass spray nozzle you see in the picture. It disburses the sprarge water in a very gentle, and very full cone pattern across the grain bed. I have the quick disconnect inside to easily flip the bar out.

Most people just lay silicone tubing right on top of the grain bed for sparging. I prefer a bit more coverage.

This is cool!

Here's my setup..... Got the idea from a few folks on here....
149s5ee.jpg

This is a pic of my False Bottom, pick up tube, and a guard I made to protect thermometer.
f9f75t.jpg

This one is of the Loc-Line arm returning the wort back into the Mash.
2qxqb8g.jpg

And this is what it looks like after I completely drain the Mash Tun.

Damn what is your grist/water ratio? I've never seen a mash under that much liquid!

+1 for the loc-line. I run my return line right through the lid of my mash tun. I like that b/c I can move the lid to my boil kettle to transfer wort - no changing hoses.

I'll try and post a pic tonight. Wont have any action shots till' monday or tuesday though when I brew again.

Back