Repitching to save flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pezedorado

Reaction score
I thought I lost a yeast culture and pitched some regular muntons to avoid waiting for another starter to get going. I left the culture on the stir plate for ~50 hours and it has come to life. Is it too late to get any good flavor from the White Labs starter after the muntons' krausen has come and gone? Its only been on there for ~26 hours.
I pitched 3x 6 gram packets into 5 gallons of 1.062 IPA.

It is probably too late already, but it can't hurt to add the second yeast culture anyways.

if there is nothing left to ferment i don't see what more yeast will do besides twiddle their thumbs, or whatever they use for thumbs.

The Muntons regular dry (which has been lambasted on this forum) took 1.062 to 1.005 in just over a full day. I added the WLP 299, but it couldnt do much at all. Has anyone else had attenuation like that? This is the lowest finisher I've had. I really didnt expect that from the cheap stuff. I've yet to taste it. I suppose Ill add clariifier when I rack tonight and take a sample then. Flocculation was low :(

Of course flocculation is low - it looks like you've only given it 3 or 4 days! Give it a couple more days for the yeast to finish cleaning up by products and to finish dropping out of solution before you rack!

And yeah, that's some crazy attenuation you're getting there... 92%??? Holy crap!

I mashed at 150F for 2 hours (failed iodine test @ 1 hr and then got distracted). Maybe it was just really fermentable.

Back