1st Kegging-Having Big Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbarcroft

Reaction score
Can't get any beer to flow. I believe there is too much trub and hop leaves that made it into the keg. The out appears completely clogged up. I removed the out pin expecting the entire rod to come out with it so I could clean it out. Only the top out pin come off and it was clogged up. Cleaned that, cranked up the co2 and still nothing. Any suggestions? I don't want to lose this batch if I don't have to, but I have no idea what to do now!

What's an "out pin"? Do you mean the post that you connect the disconnect to?

The out diptube may simply be stuck to the keg. With the post removed you should be able to grasp it by the flange and pull it out entirely, then clean and sanitize it before sticking it back in place and installing the post...

Cheers!

A quick way to unclog the dip tube is by attaching the gas to the out post. The pressure ussually clears any clogs.

Sorry, new to the tech terms. Yes, the pin. I will give it a try. Also thought I could rack it back into the Carnot, clean the keg, the re-rack back into keg again with less sediment this time.

Just a thought...but you don't have the gas post (the short one) in the beer out fitting do you? I ask cause I've done it. :(

Oh, boy. What's a "Carnot"? Do you mean a "carboy"?

Yes, indeed, if your problem is severe enough, racking the beer out of the keg and into a sanitized vessel, then letting that settle (might take a day or two) before racking off the trub and back into a sanitized keg might be the better part of valor.

Fwiw, you can call a post a "pin", and a carboy a "Carnot", but communication will be optimized if you learn the common terminology...

Cheers!

JimCharb said:
Just a thought...but you don't have the gas post (the short one) in the beer out fitting do you? I ask cause I've done it. :(

Made sure I didn't do that!

day_trippr said:
Oh, boy. What's a "Carnot"? Do you mean a "carboy"?

Yes, indeed, if your problem is severe enough, racking the beer out of the keg and into a sanitized vessel, then letting that settle (might take a day or two) before racking off the trub and back into a sanitized keg might be the better part of valor.

Fwiw, you can call a post a "pin", and a carboy a "Carnot", but communication will be optimized if you learn the common terminology...

Cheers!

I do know it's a carboy! Damn autocorrect.

Cheers!

Carnot, carboy.....what's the difference? Weird name for a glass jug anyway.

Carnot, carboy.....what's the difference? Weird name for a glass jug anyway.

Fine. Let's call it an elephant bottle then. Maybe it will catch on. Doubt it, though.

From Wikipedia: "The word carboy is from the Persian qarabah, from Arabic qarraba, "big jug" "

Cheers!

Fine. Let's call it an elephant bottle then. Maybe it ......., "big jug" "

Cheers!
So a big jugged female is technically a carboy?

:cross:

With the crap in the keg preventing beverage consumption, transfer to another keg with siphon and leave the crap behind. Yes, you need atleast 2 kegs. 1 is not enough. Well, 6 isn't enough. :drunk:

Fine. Let's call it an elephant bottle then. Maybe it will catch on. Doubt it, though.

From Wikipedia: "The word carboy is from the Persian qarabah, from Arabic qarraba, "big jug" "

Actually I was thinking more like glassenhuten. A little more authentic with a bit of a German feel.

Back