Bad CO2 tank valve???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHotKarl

Reaction score
So I got a brand new aluminum 20# CO2 tank (Catalina brand) at the gas supplier and I cannot get any co2 to come out of the tank. Even without the regulator installed when I crack the tank valve open nothing happens. At first when I cracked it open it hissed a VERY small amount, than nothing. I know for a fact that the tank is full as I weighed it and also I can feel the liquid sloshing around in it. I'm taking the tank back next week, but I figured I would throw this out there in case there is something I am missing. Bad tank valve??? Any ideas???

hmmmmmmm. I was gonna make a smart a$$ remark about.... did you get it filled??? but, ok, I will anyway. I don't think they ship them full. Are you sure the sloshing is not just the float?

So it turns out the tank came from someones hydroponic grow system as a tank return. The liquid inside was water from a faulty backflow preventer causing the hydro solution to feed into the tank, apparently a common occurance with co2 tanks.

Back