Welder Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndsgr

Reaction score
A few months back, a neighbor of mine gave me this welder before he moved. He mentioned that it was temperamental about when it would work and when it wouldn't.

Yesterday, I figured out the problem. Turns out the contacts in the handle were dirty and just needed a little love. It runs like a champ now, but I have a few questions.

-How do you turn the power up? I read somewhere that it could be a safety feature that the power knob doesn't click higher (make sure you have a dedicated circuit). Also, using the power knob for "off" has to be held and will click back to "1" when let go.

-Are there standard gas fittings that go with the tiny gas line attached? I could probably rig something, but was curious.

-Can I use CO2 from my kegerator bottle and at what PSI should I run it if using standard "MIG" wire?

-I bought flux core for now. I would eventually like to make a 2 or 3 tier brew stand with it. Is flux core suitable?

Pic of welder:
1115091601.jpg

I'm a complete newb when it comes to welding and have done some research, but it seems like the welding forums out there don't have a lot of newb-friendly resources. Thanks in advance!

Not sure about the welder settings and so forth but in reference to the flux cored wire it will do just fine unless your planning on making a stainless or aluminum frame, than your going to want the gas and solid wire.

Have fun, bought my welder months back, always borrowed my dads prior, and it has been a very useful item in my garage for several projects! It's nice having one at your disposal :)

A few months back, a neighbor of mine gave me this welder before he moved. He mentioned that it was temperamental about when it would work and when it wouldn't.

Yesterday, I figured out the problem. Turns out the contacts in the handle were dirty and just needed a little love. It runs like a champ now, but I have a few questions.

-How do you turn the power up? I read somewhere that it could be a safety feature that the power knob doesn't click higher (make sure you have a dedicated circuit). Also, using the power knob for "off" has to be held and will click back to "1" when let go.

-Are there standard gas fittings that go with the tiny gas line attached? I could probably rig something, but was curious.

-Can I use CO2 from my kegerator bottle and at what PSI should I run it if using standard "MIG" wire?

-I bought flux core for now. I would eventually like to make a 2 or 3 tier brew stand with it. Is flux core suitable?

Pic of welder:
1115091601.jpg

I'm a complete newb when it comes to welding and have done some research, but it seems like the welding forums out there don't have a lot of newb-friendly resources. Thanks in advance!

The power, or amperage I'm assuming your referring to is the "coarse" amperage adjustment switch with the OFF,1,2,3,4
To increase the amperage you just turn the switch to the desired number.
By coarse I mean you have only 4 choices of amperage.
Higher end welding machines have a dial that gives infinite control over the amperage adjustment.

Yes you will want a dedicated circuit, but as long as no other appliances are running while welding you will be fine. It should say on the machine how many amps it requires to operate. I would guess 15 to 20 amp circuit.

Without a pic I couldn't tell you which fittings you need. Take it to a weld supply and they will set you up with the right fittings.

If you bought flux core you won't need a shielding gas, and no CO2 won't work properly. You'll need a blend of 75% Argon 25% CO2 if welding with solid wire. For welding of carbon steel you'll want ER70S-2 mig wire

In a pinch, you can use 100% CO2. It works, BUT: You'll have to bury the nose of the MIG WAY into the puddle. CO2+Argon mix is a lot more forgiving for that.

M_C
Are there standard gas fittings that go with the tiny gas line attached? I could probably rig something, but was curious.

Pic of welder:
1115091601.jpg

I tried to just turn the switch, but it doesn't move, without springing back to one. Maybe it's just stuck, but doesn't feel like it. It feels like there is something preventing it from changing. I don't want to break the knob off. I'll fiddle with it a little more tonight.

Thanks for the help! I'll take any other tips you all have!

My advice for now is to take that thing to a welding supply. They will hook you up with what you need to get it running properly. They may even know right away what is causing the switch to not function like it should.
Stick with the flux core, and when you can make halfway decent welds with that, then I'd say move up to solid wire.
Come to think of it, that machine may not be suited to run solid wire.
If you want to weld with solid, your going to have to invest in a regulator, and a gas bottle for your shielding.
Watch some videos on youtube on mig welding and do a little research on http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/
If you have more specific questions I will be more than happy to help.

Back