Half batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkozlowski

Reaction score
Had a quick question on fermenting half batches... was wondering if someone might be able to chime in. I want to brew a half batch of kvass but only have 6 gallon buckets and a 6 gallon carboy. Will it produce off flavors if theres two much head space? I've been thinking of grabbing a 3 gallon carboy but im just wondering whether or not i can get by with what i have.

-Matt

It will be ok if you leave the fermenter alone & don't open the lid or move it around.

You want to maintain a blanket of C02 on top of the beer (no contact with the ambient air.) As you increase headspace, at some point the yeast won't produce enough C02 to evacuate all the ambient air from the bucket. . .ok if you don't move it around.

If you you are only doing a single half batch go for it in your 6 gallon ferment bucket. OTOH, if you plan to do it a lot I'd get a smaller bucket. FYI, I pick up 4 gallon icing buckets from the grocery bakery dept (free.) They are perfect for 2.5-3 gallon ferments. I have 3 of them fermenting right now.

it'll be fine, I do 3 gal batches in my 6gal primary all the time. kinda nice never having to worry about any blow overs

Back