Question on Vienna Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlylebrew

Reaction score
Maybe I should be posting this in the all grain section, but because I am going to use extract to duplicate this I posted it here.....

I have a Two-Hearted Ale clone that calls for 2# of Vienna Malt. My question is two fold:

1. Is there an extract I can substitute for the Vienna Malt?

2. My thought is No on question one, so because of this do I need to do a partial mash with the Vienna Malt?

Sorry for my Newbie'ness, but I am still learning. :)

Decided I should post the whole recipe... Goose1873 originally posted this in a thread, figured I should give him credit:

All Grain Recipe - Bells Two Hearted IPA ::: 1.064/1.012 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill (75% Efficiency assumed)

10 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
2 lb. - Vienna Malt
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (15L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils

Hop Schedule (47 IBU)

1/2 oz. - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (45 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (30 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (15 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Centennial (Dry Hop)
*optional*
If you like a bit more hop, use 1/2 oz of Centennial as a First Wort Hop addition

Yeast

Wyeast American Ale II Yeast (#1272) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 65° to 68°

I recently brewed an extract version of EdWorts Haus Pale ale which called for Vienna Malt. To substitute the Vienna malt you should be able to use Munich Malt Extract from Austin Homebrew which is mentioned in the Haus Pale Ale thread.

I recently brewed an extract version of EdWorts Haus Pale ale which called for Vienna Malt. To substitute the Vienna malt you should be able to use Munich Malt Extract from Austin Homebrew which is mentioned in the Haus Pale Ale thread.

Munich is darker though so you may want to sub for less and add a little extra light DME to get to your gravity.

If you're already steeping the crystal malts, I say just add the vienna malt and turn it into a partial mash. It's pretty much the same, but now you just gotta hold it for 60mins instead of 30.

But I would also need to sparge, is that not correct? I usually steep with all 6.5 gallons, do I need to cut this back and use 1/2 gallons for each pound of grain?

So much still to learn.. I probably won't brew this till next weekend, so I have time for replies.

Thanks,

Ty

If you're already steeping the crystal malts, I say just add the vienna malt and turn it into a partial mash. It's pretty much the same, but now you just gotta hold it for 60mins instead of 30.

But I would also need to sparge, is that not correct? I usually steep with all 6.5 gallons, do I need to cut this back and use 1/2 gallons for each pound of grain?

So much still to learn.. I probably won't brew this till next weekend, so I have time for replies.

Thanks,

Ty

Forgot about that part. Ya you'll probably have to cut it down, and normally you'd have to sparge but the bulk of your gravity is coming from your extract so you can take the hit in efficiency if you don't feel like it. Since its only 3lbs grains, you could use a smaller pot and mash in 1gallon for 60mins and start heating up the rest of your water in your pot, then once your mash is done just add it to the rest. If you want to sparge, an easy way would be to heat the bulk water no higher than 170F, and dunk the grain bag into it after the mash.

Thanks,

Ty

Not really. You're only looking at 2lbs. It's not the end of the world if you lose 10% or so efficiency by not sparging. Just use a really big bag and be more careful about your temps. I'd go in the higher mash range so you'll keep as much Vienna flavor as possible, but that's just me.

Forgot about that part. Ya you'll probably have to cut it down, and normally you'd have to sparge but the bulk of your gravity is coming from your extract so you can take the hit in efficiency if you don't feel like it. Since its only 3lbs grains, you could use a smaller pot and mash in 1gallon for 60mins and start heating up the rest of your water in your pot, then once your mash is done just add it to the rest. If you want to sparge, an easy way would be to heat the bulk water no higher than 170F, and dunk the grain bag into it after the mash.

+1 on mashing the grains in a smaller pot with about a gallon of water for 60 min at 154F, heating the remainder of your boil water in your brew kettle during that time, then dunking the grain bag in that when it's at 170F using the "tea bag" maneuver. Then just add the wort from the smaller pot to the boil kettle.

When I used to steep grains I still sparged. Easy enough - just rinse your grains with more hot water, let sit then drain again.

Back