Do I have to siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gareth

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just made my first batch of cider and I know that I have to "siphon" it out when it is ready to bottle but I have a tap on my barrel so what I want to know is how deep is the sediment at the bottem and will it come out if I use the tap to get it strait into bottles?

Thanks,

Gareth

gareth said:
Hi,

I've just made my first batch of cider and I know that I have to "siphon" it out when it is ready to bottle but I have a tap on my barrel so what I want to know is how deep is the sediment at the bottem and will it come out if I use the tap to get it strait into bottles?

Thanks,

Gareth

There is no exact answer to that quesiton. The amount of sediment can vary from batch to batch (even using the exact same recipe).

You can always open the spigot and capture a small glass full. Let it rest for a while and see if you pulled a lot of sediment through the spigot. If things look ok, you can rey bottling straight from the bucket's spigot.

One other thing: are you making a carbonated cider or a flat one?

-walker

As it was my first go I used a "john bull" kit in a tin and it says to add a spoon of sugar to each bottle to add the fizz but I think i'd rather a flat one so I guess I just don't put in the sugar whenI bottle it.

Walker-san said:
There is no exact answer to that quesiton. The amount of sediment can vary from batch to batch (even using the exact same recipe).

You can always open the spigot and capture a small glass full. Let it rest for a while and see if you pulled a lot of sediment through the spigot. If things look ok, you can rey bottling straight from the bucket's spigot.

One other thing: are you making a carbonated cider or a flat one?

-walker

As it was my first go I used a "John bull" kit in a tin. Its says to add a spoon of sugar to each bottle to help carbonation but I think I would like it to be flat so I guess I just leave the sugar out.

Back