Newbie Alert!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuntman

Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been brewing for five years plus, I am starting to All Grain only.

Produced a quick ten gallon batch AG for practice.

In the past, when going into the keg (last move) I run through a coffee filter, it really clears the beer.

1) Are there any drawbacks to this procedure?

Used Grist (I guess that is how you spell it) really stinks after sitting in a bag overnight...

2) Can I throw it in the back yard and hose it down, or will it stink more, or maybe kill the grass?

Finally, I have been talking to someone who has a father that has been HB'ing for a lot longer than me. The son has remarked on two occasions, " Oh you left your hops in the primary?"

3) Should I screen out everything going into the primary (excluding any dry hops)?

Finally, I have been talking to someone who has a father that has been HB'ing for a lot longer than me. The son has remarked on two occasions, " Oh you left your hops in the primary?"

3) Should I screen out everything going into the primary (excluding any dry hops)?

Yes, when I dry hop I do so after fermentation - in other words, I add dry hops (in a hop bag) to my secondary. I usually add the dry hops about 4 days before bottling.

Dry hopping during fermentation means that the CO2 will carry hop aroma right out the blowhole.

Wait until the fermentation at least slows considerably.

I'm guessing you mean you left your boiling hops in your wort and than transferred it to your primary??? From what I know it shouldn't hurt your beer as long as you use Irish Moss or a Whirlfloc Tablet which would just make your hops settle to the bottom and become part of your yeast cake. If you want you can always use a sanitized strainer when pouring your wort, that should remove most of your hops and anything else that's floating around. It will also help aerate your wort...

as for your other ???'s I have no clue, anyone???

I have been brewing for five years plus, I am starting to All Grain only.

Produced a quick ten gallon batch AG for practice.

In the past, when going into the keg (last move) I run through a coffee filter, it really clears the beer.

1) Are there any drawbacks to this procedure?

Used Grist (I guess that is how you spell it) really stinks after sitting in a bag overnight...

2) Can I throw it in the back yard and hose it down, or will it stink more, or maybe kill the grass?

1 Running the beer through a coffe filter before kegging can cause oxidation. If you are going to filter try using a plate filter or something similar which exposes your beer to less oxygen.

2 The spent grains do stink, if I remember correctly it is bacteria growing in them. I have thrown mine in the grass and it did wonders for growth, but stank.

3 Leaving your boiling hops in the primary shouldn't hurt anything, but it will give you more trube to rack off of and may absorb more of your wort. I have started pouring my cooled wort into my bottleing bucket with a sanitized 5 gal paint strainer bag and just pulling out a lot of trube and hops. from there the beer is ran through a fine screen filter into a funnel and then into the carboy for pitching. Just another way to introduce oxygen into the wort before pitching.

I appreciate everything guys,

The paint strainer at the beggining will surely keep the coffee filter from clogging up so much ( I am going to check out the plate filter now). Introducing dry hops AFTER action has stopped sure seems smarter to me. The spent grains will be making a trip to the dumpster (that is an awful smell).

Invite the neighbors over and they ask, "Whats that smell?" You look them in the eye and say...."It is what you are drinking."

Thanks for the quick responses.

Back