2 months til wedding, how long in each step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
I'm providing beer for a wedding on October 3rd. I've got one ready but I'm just getting around to the second one this weekend. Its an ESB and I'm bottle conditioning. I prefer to use a secondary and my question is how long in each step. Obviously I won't be moving anything until fermentation finishes but I'm using a big starter so it should finish within a week. My initial thought is 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, and 4 weeks to bottle condition. As for the bottle conditioning I'll prob keep it pretty warm, mid to high 70s for the first week or 2 then gradually dropping the temp down to cellar temps by the end of the 4 weeks.

Thoughts and opinions?

There are some beers of mine that I do one week in the primary, and one week in bottles, and then drink without complaint. 2-2-4 sounds just fine for an ESB.

I agree with you, good schedule. If you have access to a fridge, then you could even to 3-0-4. At day 14, toss it into the fridge for a week and then rack off the trub and bottle. Then you will get a clear beer, in less time and more time in the bottle is always nice :mug:

I do three weeks in primary and 3-4 in bottle. As long as I use Irish moss they come out very clear. I only secondary lagers or really big beers, which are rare for me.

I like your 2-2-4 schedule and use it with 80% of the beers I brew. I would probably try a bottle after 3 weeks and if it's ready, refrigerate the whole batch for the last week prior to the event. That should give any chill haze a chance to settle out as well.

Back