Primary & Secondary fermenting temps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turner_Brown

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew quite a bit this summer. Exclusively ales, most likely be using yeast that thrives in the 60-72 degree range. I keep my condo at a steady 75 in the summer. So, after a little research, I've decided that I'll use the "swamp cooler" method to keep my primary ferms <65 (wort temp). At what stage is the lower temps crucial?

Say I plan to stay in the primary for 2 weeks and secondary for 3 weeks.

I don't want to have to be swapping out ice bottles for 5 weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The most critical time is during the active ferment - should be a week or less, unless you're making a stronger ale. The 5 week cycle for a regular ale seems really long.

Dos Locos

The most critical time is during the active ferment - should be a week or less, unless you're making a stronger ale. The 5 week cycle for a regular ale seems really long.

Dos Locos

yeah, 5 weeks only for the bigger beers (I have a couple on deck).

I saw this on the Wyeast website:

Secondary Fermentation Temperatures:
&#8226; Ales: Same as primary fermentation (higher temperatures will increase diacetyl reduction rates)

So...If I take it out of the swamp cooler (wort temp <65) after primary and rack it to the secondary where temps will stay close to 72-75....

"Higher temperatures will INCREASE diacetyl REDUCTION rates" (this confuses me)

I am interpreting that statement in this way:

Higher temperatures will result in less diacetyl in the final product

Is this correct?

Yes, confusing wording, but yes, higher temperature -> less diacetl. Warming up for diacetl reduction is much more important for lagers ... I never even thought to worry about it for ales.

Dos Locos

I saw this on the Wyeast website:

Secondary Fermentation Temperatures:
• Ales: Same as primary fermentation (higher temperatures will increase diacetyl reduction rates)

So...If I take it out of the swamp cooler (wort temp <65) after primary and rack it to the secondary where temps will stay close to 72-75....

"Higher temperatures will INCREASE diacetyl REDUCTION rates" (this confuses me)

I am interpreting that statement in this way:

Higher temperatures will result in less diacetyl in the final product

Is this correct?

Yes, although it isn't necessary to do the entire primary fermentation at a higher temp just to deal with diacetyl. Those who worry about it (mostly those who lager) use whats called a diacetyl rest. What this involves is raising fermentation temps to, oh 65F+(depending on yeast) for a short time. Yeast will naturally clean up the diacetyl at the end of fermentation, the higher temps accelerate this action.

A for secondary temps, I'm a big fan of cold conditioning both ales and lagers. If you have fridge space, throw the batches in there once they're in secondary. On the whole, I don't think temps during secondary ale fermentations are nearly as important. You wouldn't ruin your beer leaving it in secondary at a 70-75+ teperature.

Latest posts

Back