Karbach Weekend Warrior Pale Ale clone, all grain help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewed_Q

Reaction score
Howdy homebrew enthusiasts!! I'm dusting off the all-grain brewing equipment for a weekend brewing session. One of my new favorite local craft brews is the Karbach Weekend Warrior Pale Ale, and I'd like to brew something similar. It kinda comes off as a weaker IPA, sweet malty finish with a definite hop nose. Here is the ingredients list from their website.

O.G.: 12.7 Plato

IBU: 40 IBU

A.B.V.: 5.5%

Malts: 2 row, medium crystal, Biscuit

Hops: Cascade, Bavarian Mandarina, Amarillo, Zythos, Simcoe

I need some of you more experienced brewers to chime in with what you think the ratios and brew time would be. Thanks in advance!

I'm going to make the assumption that you live in Houston. Have you gone up to Eric Warner at Karbach and asked him for feedback? He's pretty easy to talk to. He won't completely give you the answer. He likes to give people enough information to get them on the right path but still let them figure it out on their own.

No, haven't talked to him. I've been by the brewery once, but don't live anywhere near it, I'm on the far North side of Houston.

Reviving an old thread, because...

I searched for "Karbach Weekend Warrior Recipe" and this thread came up. I was looking to compare notes on my first draft (draught? Punny!) of this recipe before I tried to make it. Since it doesn't look like anyone tried to put one together, I'll list what I have come up with.

I haven't spoken to Eric Warner either, but if the IT market doesn't pick up in Houston soon, I might go talk to Eric about being a floor sweeper at Karbach ;)

Pulled from Geek Stats (http://karbachbrewing.com/staff/weekend-warrior/)
GEEK STATS
OG: 12.7 Plato (1.052)
IBU: 45
ABV: 5.5%
Malts: 2 Row Pale, Medium Crystal, Biscuit
Hops: Cascade, Mandarina Bavaria, Amarillo, Simcoe
Notable: Dry hopped for added intensity of hop flavor and aroma

Recipe 5.5 gal batch: (I do this because it lets me lose 1/2 gal in the kettle and fermentor to break and trub)
8lbs 4oz 2 Row 2L (I may use Golden Promise the second time I try to see how it's different)
1lb Simpsons Medium Crystal (or Crystal 55L)
1lb Biscuit malt (22L)
1oz Cascade (60 min)
1oz Mandarin Bavaria (30 min)
WLP 001 California Ale yeast (Wyeast 1056, Safale US-05)
1oz Amarillo - Dry Hop 7 days
1oz Simcoe - Dry Hop 4 days

EST OG 1.052
Calc IBU (Tinseth) 43.1
Color 10.5 SRM
Est ABV 5.5%

Basic mash schedule:
Add 3.25 Gals 148 F 60 minutes,
heat to 168 over 20 minutes
Fly sparge with 4.25 gals 168

Collect 6.2 Gals Wort Est Pre-Boil SG 1.046
OG 1.052
FG ~ 1.010
ABV 5.5%

YMMV, I haven't tried this recipe yet, just posting here to solicit feedback.
My systems is an Electric Brewery (Thanks Kal) design of my own so I use a heat exchange to heat the mash from 148 to 168 without adding water. If you infusion mash you will need to plug the recipe into your software (I use Beersmith) to determine those parameters.

Last edited:
Seems like low hops since i have been using 10+ oz per 5 ga but i do love all things Karbach so good luck!

Latest posts

Back