Cloning HopHands by Tired Hands Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks awesome. I just picked up some cans of Punge from the Fermenteria and it looks pretty similar (though hard to tell from just a picture).

This is probably answered somewhere in the thread, but it's gotten really long... Do you guys force chill after flameout to get it to the whirlpool temp? Or do you just let the temp fall on it's own until it reaches 185 and then add the rest of the hops? Thanks

I've been chilling down to 185F. I overshot it a bit last time because I got a new chiller. I tossed them in at 185F, but after 20 minutes the wort was down in the 150s. Typically it will just fall to the low 170s/high 160s. I'll give it a big stir every 5 minutes to keep the wort moving. Ideally I'd keep it right at 185F the whole time and circulate it with a pump, but I'm not that fancy yet.

I'm brewing up ed's revisited recipe on this snowy Saturday! Substituted Mosaic for Simcoe and am using 1318, the starter is looking nice with about 3/4" krausen on it. I'm going 80/20 2 row to flaked oats and mimicked ed's water profile from the first few resisted write up (1:1) so4:cl.

I just kegged a batch I did with mosaic motueka and simcoe. Trying to match the flavor profile of MoMoCoe. I'm calling it MoMoClone :)

Finally got a better picture now that I'm home when the sun's out. This is going to be a good weekend.

fpY5r9h.jpg

Love their brews. I haven't attempted any clones, but I've certainly taken a note from their beer and an using a ton of oats in some of my recipes. Up to 20 percent. I'm not one for following recipes, but I might give this a crack sometime.

I pulled a gravity sample last night (day 4 of ferment). The gravity read 1.024 after fermenting solid at 64F. I placed a heat blanket on the carboy last night and brought it up to 68F. I'm going to trying to keep the temp up to around 68 for the next 3-4 days to encourage it to finish out. Having never used this yeast before (Wyeast 1318), I'm going to give it everything it may need to ensure it attenuates out. Even at 1.024 it was tasting juicy

I found this great attenuation curve for Wyeast 1318 on a similar gravity beer. It looks like their experience it pretty spot on with my ferment, both around 1.022-1.024 at day 4.

attenuation_curve_1318.jpg

Update: Kegged on day 9 of ferment, FG 1.014. Dryhopping with 2oz each of Amarillo, Centennial and Mosaic in the keg in a hop bag weighed down with a shot glass.

I'm going to DH for 5 days, gently turning the keg upside down once a day to 'agitate' the dry hops.

Picked up some HopHands cans a couple weeks ago and thought I'd share this pic. This is what the last couple ounces of the can looks like after letting it sit in the fridge for about a week. The glass next to it is the non-dregs portion of the same can. Seems to be not only hop matter but a good amount of yeast. If I can resist, maybe I'll let 1 can sit in the fridge for a month or so and see if it turns clear. My homebrewed attempts have cleared up in the keg eventually if I can't drink it fast enough.

2HRZNgr.jpg

Yes sir. I wanted to see how much stuff is in suspension when they serve it. The answer is a lot. I poured a whole 16 oz can into a series of small juice glasses in one long pour. The can had been in my fridge for about a week. Here's the pic of all the glasses. If you can't tell from the picture, they all look identical except the last one with the sediment...

n1AG8uV.jpg

I am pretty sure having that yeast and hop material in suspension is important for the taste. I don't understand how they keep it from dropping out when they chill the beer for serving/canning. Mine always clears up unless I keg hop with pellets in a mesh bag. Even then it's not quite the same. Maybe this is just a result of their beer being done in small batches so it can always be super fresh.

Brew day notes (18Jan16):
82% MCI Stout Malt
18% Flaked Oats
Mash temp: 152.
1/2 oz magnum (13.7AA) @ FWH
1/2 oz each Citra, Cascade, Amarillo @ 5 mins
185° whirlpool 1/2 oz each Citra, Cascade, Amarillo
O.G.: 1.052
Racked 5ish gallons to the fermenter, pitched 1.5l starter of 1318 @ 66°f., fermented @ 66° for first 96 hrs, then ramped up to 72 over the following 6 days.
Day 11 to 14 slowly brought temp to 35°. Racked to keg with 1 oz each of Citra, Cascade, Amarillo, and Azacca.
F.G.: 1.008

This is a great beer, but the 1.008 finishing gravity makes the beer a little too dry and thin for it to be a truly great HopHands clone. With that being said next time I'll bump up the mash temp to 154-155 to get a slightly higher fg.
C5k39YE.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454718376.644909.jpgMy third attempt at this one using the final recipe on ales of the riverwards blog. It's pretty awesome this time around, although all 3 attempts were great. This is becoming a regular brew for me. I dry hopped in the keg and used a jumper tube to transfer off the hops into a sanitized empty keg.

Not as bright a color as some of the others but it's good enough for me.

Looking good guys! I am drinking a growler of Hop Hands as I type. Awesome brew. Can't wait to give this recipe a try in the spring. I lucked into a 4 pk of Alien Church cans too. Can't wait to try it.

5819EFBE-B8E5-4C85-83B8-5A0DBBF50F5C_zpsxy3epejr.jpg

EE4E3EC3-B30B-4A3E-82ED-A7748A4789A0_zps066bup9v.jpg

Oh my! I thought hop hands was great. Alien church is incredible. I'd love to see a recipe for it. Very reminiscent of treehouse or Bissel bros.

8106B4AD-B644-4509-9915-31E07FA54AD9_zpsqm8lzby6.jpg

952D6582-1490-4287-B6CC-73D71C9EF227_zpsw4qvb9ba.jpg

Wow, lots of activity on here! Looks like everyone is brewing some killer beers.

I am working on a Alien Church clone recipe, if anyone has some input fee free to chime in. I will probably start a thread about it.

Yes sir. I wanted to see how much stuff is in suspension when they serve it. The answer is a lot. I poured a whole 16 oz can into a series of small juice glasses in one long pour. The can had been in my fridge for about a week. Here's the pic of all the glasses. If you can't tell from the picture, they all look identical except the last one with the sediment...

n1AG8uV.jpg

I am pretty sure having that yeast and hop material in suspension is important for the taste. I don't understand how they keep it from dropping out when they chill the beer for serving/canning. Mine always clears up unless I keg hop with pellets in a mesh bag. Even then it's not quite the same. Maybe this is just a result of their beer being done in small batches so it can always be super fresh.

This doesnt surprise me, the beer is being canned super fresh and it unfiltered. That is a fair bit of sediment but Ive gotten the same from cans of Heady Topper. That said, I think they will tighten this up as they get more and more comfortable with their canning line.

I havent gotten any cans yet bc I dont wait in line to buy beer, in a few weeks those lines wont exist and youll be able to walk in and get a 4 pack.

Its either from a little kettle caramelization or variation in the color extracted from the malts. I would guess the latter, what was the base malt you used?

Finally got some hophands after brewing and drinking the HH revisited clone (Mosaic substituted for Simcoe). It is spot on, the yeast, bitterness and hop profile. My beer might be lacking a bit of creamy mouthfeel and the TH hophands is much cloudier despite my beer having 20% flaked oats.

I brewed another version using 30% oats and a half lb of Honey malt for a touch of sweetness. Also this version I went with Centennial/Mosaic/Citra to lean in the Fresh Squeezed direction.

This is a great recipe and beer

Its either from a little kettle caramelization or variation in the color extracted from the malts. I would guess the latter, what was the base malt you used?

I used breiss pale malt. I can't seem to find any CMC pale malt.

If it were kettle carmelization, how would I rectify that? Pull back on the boil intensity? I use a bayou propane burner setup.

I used breiss pale malt. I can't seem to find any CMC pale malt.

If it were kettle carmelization, how would I rectify that? Pull back on the boil intensity? I use a bayou propane burner setup.

How long is your boil? And what's your boil off percentage? Maybe try for a 60 minute boil with approx. 11% boiloff if you're not already there.

I haven't had Hop Hands but I just finished my last can of Pineal that I acquired in a trade. It is motivating me to try this recipe. What an awesome beer. I love the oats and the amazing hoppiness without the overwhelming bitterness.

I rebrewed this beer moving up to 30% oats and its even creamier without being cloying. And I've finally achieved the super hazy Orange Juice appearance *without a tons of hop particles floating in the glass. Pics to come later tonight

30% oats
65% 2-row
5% honey malt

Wyeast London Ale III

3oz high alpha @ flameout, hop stand for 20min

4oz DH in the primary (loose)

I rebrewed this beer moving up to 30% oats and its even creamier without being cloying. And I've finally achieved the super hazy Orange Juice appearance *without a tons of hop particles floating in the glass. Pics to come later tonight

30% oats
65% 2-row
5% honey malt

Wyeast London Ale III

That's got to be a good feeling. Did you do a 5 gallon batch? What was your mash and ferm temps?

Mashed at 152F, fermented at 64-66 for 5 days then rose it up to 68-70 for the last 3 days. This strain needs a little coaxing to finish out, at least in under 10 days. 1.052 down to 1.012.

Mashed at 152F, fermented at 64-66 for 5 days then rose it up to 68-70 for the last 3 days. This strain needs a little coaxing to finish out, at least in under 10 days. 1.052 down to 1.012.

Maybe try ramping sooner. What's your gravity at 5 days? I have been fermenting 1.060-1.062 beers with 1318 at 66.5 for 2-3 days. At that point, I'm at about 1.012 (4 points away from terminal gravity). I then ramp to 70 over 2 days and I'm at terminal gravity after about 5 days total. The next 7 days are for dry hopping and cold crashing. Keg on day 11-12. How many cells are you pitching and into what volume of wort?

30% oats
65% 2-row
5% honey malt

Wyeast London Ale III

Oat Malt or Flaked Oats? I'm guessing flaked oats, but just asking for clarification. Thanks

Maybe try ramping sooner. What's your gravity at 5 days? I have been fermenting 1.060-1.062 beers with 1318 at 66.5 for 2-3 days. At that point, I'm at about 1.012 (4 points away from terminal gravity). I then ramp to 70 over 2 days and I'm at terminal gravity after about 5 days total. The next 7 days are for dry hopping and cold crashing. Keg on day 11-12. How many cells are you pitching and into what volume of wort?

I guess I've been worried at throwing too many esters by ramping the temp early. I'm not bothered by it taking about 8 days to get to a DH-ing gravity.

I'm pitching a 3 week package of 1318 into a 1.75L starter, w/wyeast yeast nutrient and oxygenating the starter with pure o2.

Oat Malt or Flaked Oats? I'm guessing flaked oats, but just asking for clarification. Thanks

Flaked, 'instant' oats from the cereal isle of the grocery store. This is the magical percentage for myself. It's not starchy or anything like that.

Back