Bottling EdWort's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anat

Reaction score
New to the forum so apologies if this is the wrong place...

Just started my first home brew using EdWort's recipe.
My question is in terms of bottling. If I'm going to carbonate in beer bottles with crown tops what do I have to add to the bottle other than the fermented apfelwein after 6 weeks? I'm very new to this.

Additionally if I want to bottle/cork, do I just add fermented apfelwein to wine bottle and cork?

Do I add sugar etc? New to the terminology. Thanks!

The most important question is, do you want the wine to be bubbly, or do you want it to be un-carbonated?

I prefer it carbed personally, but have had it both ways.

If un-carbed, it is super easy, you could really put it in almost any clean/sanitized container. I have even put it back in a glass jug that some of my original applejuice came in (I think it was called Martinelli's or something, I bought it speficially to use the jugs after the wine was ready). Just make 100% sure fermentation is totally done or it can easily explode the bottle.

If carbed is what you want, I handle it exactly like beer, and what I am recommending assumes you have some of the same equipemtn (bottling bucket, wand). If you have 5g of wine, add 4oz of bottling sugar (dissolved and boiled in 1 cup of water) when transferring to the bottling bucket.

Use the bottling wand to fill up your bottles, I use beer bottles, either 12 or 22 oz. If you are using wine bottles, I think you would need to use champagne bottles to handle the pressure, and I would imagine a regular corked wine bottle might not be able to keep it all conatined and could blow the cork out/shatter the glass. With beer bottles it is super easy, just fill em to about 1" below the rim, then slap a cap on it. It takes at least 3 weeks for them to fully carb, but you can also age them in the bottle (I have read on here some people have kept them 6 months after bottling and it still tastes great). I tend to let it sit in the primary for 2-3 months, then age it in bottles another 1-3 months, but that is totally up to you.

If this is all confusing the hell out of you, I would recommend looking through a thread on beer bottling for beginners. I think I learned from one that Revvy posted, and still basically use the same system today. The thread had lots of helpful photos and explanation.

Good luck, and be careful, Apfelwein will mess you up in the best way possible. Had 3 22oz bottles one night last week and...well...I don't remember much else :ban:

You don't happen to have a link to that thread by revvy do you? Couldn't find it

You don't happen to have a link to that thread by revvy do you? Couldn't find it

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

That is the thread...looking at it again it almost seems a little intimidating...I use a setup closer the post #2 where I have my bucket over the dishwasher. I also don't mount my bottling wand directly to the spigot, but instead have 3-4' of tubing and then run it through the top rack of the dishwasher.

I am also new to this and have a question related to this, I keep reading about bottle bombs when bottle carbing, is this something I need to worry about when bottling apfelwein?

I am also new to this and have a question related to this, I keep reading about bottle bombs when bottle carbing, is this something I need to worry about when bottling apfelwein?
Only if you use to much sugar when bottling.

Latest posts

Back