BTU Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Looking into making my first steps towards upgrading my system.

Getting a 30 quart stainless steel stock pot (Polar Ware) to make a true 5 gallon batch.

Also getting the Camp Chef SHP-RL from amazon.com for its 60000 - 75000 BTU output.

Open to suggestions, comments, and thoughts. Eventually moving from bottles to kegs but in no hurry. Looking forward to getting out of the kitchen.

I second the bayou or if you have the $$ get the blichmann burner. I have it and even though it is expensive it was worth it.

I would also recommend you look at the pot size because for a few extra dollars more you can set yourself up for 10 gallon batches without having to re-buy something. I have a 15 gallon hlt and a 20 gallon brew pot for 10 gallon batches. It might be a little overkill but i don't have to ever worry about boil overs.

Well as much as I want 10 gal brews. It's a bit much. My ideal future involves me going to 5 gal Korney kegs and a keezer.

Thanks for the input and will look into SQ14.

Actually the bayou classic sq14 is less BTU than the one I originally posted. 60000 - 75000. Is there much of a difference?

This is what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00264G584...&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B00264G584

Jet burners may not be very efficient but they put out some serious fire (105K BTU) which is necessary in its original design as a crawfish cooker.
I raised the second tier with cinder blocks for my direct fire mash tun to make it gravity feed better into the boil kettle. Top burner is overkill for the mash tun at 60K BTU, gets my strike water to temp in 10-15 minutes.
I purchased this at my local Sams club at a much discounted price during crawfish season.
7353-6518.jpg

richlong8020 said:
Well as much as I want 10 gal brews. It's a bit much. My ideal future involves me going to 5 gal Korney kegs and a keezer.

Thanks for the input and will look into SQ14.

I hear ya. I was just trying to say if you ever are considering to do 10 g batches you might want to consider buying bigger so you dont have to buy your equipment twice if not more. Either way good luck.

Yes those are always good words to live by. It is ideal to always buy bigger for future gains. Totally looking forward to upgrading.

So 55000 BTU is enough to maintain a rolling boil?

Well that's good to hear, I brew with two other buddy's so the cost is no issue.

As long as I can maintain a rolling boil to break down the proteins then this move will be greatly beneficial.

Like I said earlier the stove top doesn't allow me to truly get a serious boil on the wort.

... ... On a side note my buddy bought a kit and it had a Whirlfloc tablet in it, totally cleaned up the Dunkelweizen. IT'S A HEFE!!! Sorry ;)

I'll post again with thoughts on the new setup. Thank you all for the input.

Back