First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you have a sealed system, you will need to pull the pressure release valve. If you are loosing pressure without releasing it, you have a leak.

If your system is balanced properly, you should be serving at the same pressure you carbonated at. However, if you subscribe to the "overpressure and shake" method, then you may well have overcarbonated in the first place. In that instance, yes, you will have to continue to release pressure until you reach the correct balance in serving pressure. Many folks do this, but I tried it once and absolutely hated the continual adjustments I had to make. Ever since then, I just consulted the carbonation chart, set the correct pressure, and left it alone until the keg was empty.

bikebryan said:
If your system is balanced properly, you should be serving at the same pressure you carbonated at. However, if you subscribe to the "overpressure and shake" method, then you may well have overcarbonated in the first place. In that instance, yes, you will have to continue to release pressure until you reach the correct balance in serving pressure. Many folks do this, but I tried it once and absolutely hated the continual adjustments I had to make. Ever since then, I just consulted the carbonation chart, set the correct pressure, and left it alone until the keg was empty.

excellent point. I sometimes use the force carb procedure. After I force carb at a high pressure I then blead the keg to the serving pressure. I have had to adjust a little every now and then but no issues......yet

Some regulaters will vent the excess pressure out through the regulator. Not good to vent beer back through the reg. Better to unhook gas line, lower pressure, hook line up.

Two points, hopefully neither of them blatantly obvious. The first thing you'll want to do is purge the oxygen from the corny. Pressurize the keg, then back the regulator down to zero (or disconnect the CO2 line from the keg), then pull the pressure relief valve. Rinse and repeat two more times. It doesn't waste much CO2 and your beer will stay fresh much longer without any O2 in there.

Secondly, I shook my last keg just to try it, only I didn't over-pressurize it. I used my beer program to find the correct volumes of CO2 for the style and set the regulator. I put the keg on the floor and rocked it for a minute or two twice a day for two days. By the time I got home from work on the third day it was ready. I haven't adjusted the regulator since the first day.

Side note: if you decide to try this, make sure you have the CO2 line on the high side as you rock. If not, the sloshing action squeezes a little beer back into the line.

I'm getting back into brewing and have my first batch (in the last 3 years) now kegged. I have it in my keg fridge, and shot it to the appropriate CO2 level from the force carb charts. After 5 days I'd say I'm barely carbonated. I get a slight head, and no bubbles. So last night I rocket the keg (as I used to several years ago), and this morning though no streaming bubbles yet, there is a definate foamy head.

I guess my question is, for those people who force carbinate, without shaking/rocking the keg how long does it take for your brews to reach it's desired carb level?

jaspass said:
I guess my question is, for those people who force carbinate, without shaking/rocking the keg how long does it take for your brews to reach it's desired carb level?

About a week (5-7 days) at 10-15 psi (depending on what volume you want it carbed at).
If oyu have it properly balanced you can leave it at around 10-15 psi and serve it and never have to adjust, nor will it overcarb. Mine is set up perfectly--it took some trial and error but it is good now. Lemme find the web page I used for a "balancing your CO2 system" how-to....it has everything you need ot get straight.

Thanks for the replys, I did the set and wait method and thought that I would have to reduces the presure inside the keg and at the reg to get a beer out of it and not all foam. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Dude said:
About a week (5-7 days) at 10-15 psi (depending on what volume you want it carbed at).
If oyu have it properly balanced you can leave it at around 10-15 psi and serve it and never have to adjust, nor will it overcarb.
Dude... where's my car?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. On to the topic at hand. If I may modify your comments above, there are a couple additional points to add. Temperature of the keg has a lot to do with the amount of pressure needed to achieve the correct volumes of CO2 for your beer. A German Altbier at 38 degrees requires 12.6 psi to reach the average carbonation for that style. Put the same beer in a 45 degree fridge and you have to jack that up to 16.3 psi.

10-15 psi might be too much for some styles of beer. The average for my brown porter stored at 38 degrees came out to 7 psi. I stuck it at 8, just to be a little on the high side, and rocked it for two days. It's been at 8 psi for three weeks now and is wonderful. I'd say it's gotten rave reviews from several of my brewing friends.

Check out this link for a web page with a calculator for volumes by style and temperature. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html

Thanks Dude. When rocking the beer in the keg with CO2 attached, it used to only take about 3-5 days, so after 5 days (without rocking this keg) I was getting concerned. I've referrenced the Force Carb charts, and line balancing equations, and feel I have things setup properly. I guess I just needed to be more patient! Thanks for the verification.

Side bar - By the way Dude, years ago (like 27 years ago) I lived in Hampton and went to Captain John Smith Elem School.

DrewsBrews said:
Dude... where's my car?

Check out this link for a web page with a calculator for volumes by style and temperature. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html

This chart is great. One question I have though is, How long ? Unless I missed something, it gives you the PSI based on desired CO2 levels and temp or storage, but not how long it should take. Is it just a test until its "ready" and then when its ready do you back off the PSI??

MNBugeater

MNBugeater said:
This chart is great. One question I have though is, How long ? Unless I missed something, it gives you the PSI based on desired CO2 levels and temp or storage, but not how long it should take. Is it just a test until its "ready" and then when its ready do you back off the PSI??

MNBugeater
No. Don't back off the pressure; if you do then after several days the CO2 in the solution will balance back to the reduced pressure, reducing your carbonation. Just set your pressure, sit back, wait, then serve, all at the same pressure.

DrewsBrews said:
Two points, hopefully neither of them blatantly obvious. Side note: if you decide to try this, make sure you have the CO2 line on the high side as you rock. If not, the sloshing action squeezes a little beer back into the line.
This is the very thing that happened to me just now. Luckily the beer didn't get into the regulator. I had it set at 10 pounds, the pressure the chart showed for 2.5 volumes at 38 degrees f. Won't do that again!
Going to leave it at 10 pounds and be patient.
Git to go grind my grains for tomorrows brewing session.

Thanks drewsbrews for the kegging calculator links...very helpful page!!!
Good Brewing All!

Back