Should I trash my carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I have a carboy that I have let soak and then soak some more in hot water with oxyclean.

However, there still seems to be this grimy ring sort of thing near the bottom of the carboy. I have tried brushing it off at no avail. It almost looks like if the glass were two pieces that there was trapped humidity or something between the two. However, since I believe carboy's are one solid piece it seems that it has to be inside.

Do you think this is safe to brew in after sanitizing or do I need to trash?

daveooph131 said:
I have a carboy that I have let soak and then soak some more in hot water with oxyclean.

However, there still seems to be this grimy ring sort of thing near the bottom of the carboy. I have tried brushing it off at no avail. It almost looks like if the glass were two pieces that there was trapped humidity or something between the two. However, since I believe carboy's are one solid piece it seems that it has to be inside.

Do you think this is safe to brew in after sanitizing or do I need to trash?

Soak with a strong star San solution & see if the acid will get rid of it.

Dave,

I know I have seen threads on doing a "acid wash" or something to that effect, I wouldn't throw it away unless you were super paranoid. I was gifted these 40 year old water bottles that were in my neighbors garage. I have not used them yet, All I have done so far was a good scrubbing, they cleaned up pretty good but there is some staining. I think I am going to fill them all the way with oxyclean for a day or two, and go from there...IDK

Old_carboys.jpg

Soak with a strong star San solution & see if the acid will get rid of it.

Yup, or try CLR. What you have is scale, just a residue oxyclean. Happens all the time, usually like zookeeper said, a weak acid solution like starsan, or a dillution of vinegar or lemon juice in water will remove it, worst case would be CLR.

Ok I'll try star San then. Ya I don't want to dump it but there is visible grime that wont come off.

By the way what is CLR?

fwiw, I acquired a 5 gallon carboy that had been a garden ornament in a previous life, and it was loaded with minerals and grime. I filled it with a strong bleach solution and let it sit for weeks, then gave it a thorough rinsing. It looked pristine.

Because it's only 5 gallons it didn't get used much for holding beer - I think I only used it twice for aging stouts. But it now makes for a killer Star San storage vessel...

Cheers!

Invest in a Carboy Cleaner system.

Mine does wonders for stubborn stuff, and the vendor had an awesome giveaway here a couple months back.

Just got around to cleaning the carboy today. Had been using my other one for awhile.

CLR worked great thanks for the heads up!

Back