Prost to Raleigh LHBS - Fifth Season Gardening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FerroPlasm

Reaction score
Didn't see a better place to post this, so I'm putting it here. I wanted to give a thumbs up to Fifth Season Gardening in Raleigh. I'm just getting started with home brewing and these guys were extraordinarily helpful. 5th season was initially a hydroponics supply store that branched off into home brew shop.

Gabe, the resident brewer, is the guy to talk to for advice and assistance. He helped me find everything I needed and had a great attitude. Prices seem to be decent and their selection is pretty good, though some of they things listed on their website need to be ordered ahead of time as their lack of space is limiting. I felt so satisfied by their amiability that I called the shop when I noticed they failed to charge me for a 6.5 gal carboy. They earned it. :mug:

I've been to American Brewmaster (AM) only twice: once before contemplating brewing to buy a gift and again a couple days ago just to walk through and see what they had. AM definitely has a much larger stocking space, as they're a dedicated LHBS. Thye have a larger selection of malts, a grinder, lots of hops, and likely don't run out of stock of items very often. I didn't see any ingredient kits to speak of, though I could have overlooked them. They have a selection of reference books for the browser to consult and some for purchase.

OTOH, 5th season has a great staff. They have a decent selection of kits and essential equipment. They were out of stock for a number of items I needed, but they had a Groupon promotion recently and may not have anticipated the amount of recent traffic. They're just getting started with brew equipment, so I give them a pass on this aspect. 5th Season customer service is excellent. They were very helpful without being too over the shoulder. I didn't see a grain mill, but it could be located in back. Another plus is that they're a gardening shop, especially if you grow your own hops.

As a big gardener this is nice to know. I'd rather give them my business than Lowes. I've been completely satisfied with American Brewmaster though.

I'll give 5th season a thumbs up too !! I bought my first AG recipe from them... and they helped me through every step of the way ! Great place to look around and talk to knowledgeable people !!

Their stock is limited for sure, but they just got started. As they see an increase in traffic because of homebrewing they might dedicate more space to it. Doesnt look like they can expand much though given the location. Their recent groupon is a great deal and will be picking up another fermenter plus a ton of other goodies. It is also much closer to me than abm is.

Abm has kits, there arent a lot of them but they have them by the malt shelf.

Edit: Happy New Years Day! May your fermenters be full and your pint glasses empty this year.

Sweet, another HBS in the area. I'll have to check them out.

Also, the guys at ABM in Raleigh will help put a kit together for you if you don't see what you are looking for on the shelf.

I ave yet to check them out, but have heard good things. I call American Brewmaster "my" LHBS, but honestly split my needsbetween them and Austin Homebrew Supply, depending on time / need.

I'm not gonna brew again fro at least 6 weeks or so - Got a Triple tier and a keezer to build :) but I will check them out after the Holiday rush has subsided and maybe they have a chance to have full shelves. Helpful staffing is great, but ultimately I do not want to go somewhere to be told " we can order that for you " - shoot - I can order what ever I want - the local is where I go for something right now.

Back