what style of beer should I make? wants to use fruits...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm going to try and make a beer with fruit, but I don't know what style I should make? I'm still pondering what fruits i'll use, but I want to use fruits that are native to philippines. Maybe calamansi and jackfruit. I want it to be a fresh tasting beer, something enjoyable for hot climates, How do I go about imparting their flavors into a beer? Any tips would be good, i'm still only doing research for now. This will be an all grain brew.

here's some info on the calamansi fruit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamondin

here's some info on the jackfruit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit

Adding fruit to an IPA could be tricky as you don't want the flavor of the fruit to clash with the flavor of the hops. It's not impossible, it's just more tricky.

I haven't had either fruit, but reading the articles you've linked:

It sounds like you could take the peel of the Calamondin to add Calamondin zest at 2-5 minutes left in your boil or flameout. That might be pretty cool in a Belgian style and would add a sweeter flavor from your Calamondin. Otherwise, you can add the fruit itself after primary fermentation is finished (by means of racking to a secondary) to add some sour flavor.

The Jackfruit, though...the article mentions the flesh of the "hard" variety is fibrous and starchy. Depending on how starchy it is you could add it to the mash much like one would do in a pumpkin ale. The "soft" variety sounds like it is more suited for secondary. Given that it apparently tastes like a tart banana, I think of a wheat beer that already has banana-like flavors from the yeast or perhaps a Blonde.

I don't know, just some ideas. Sounds like fun :)

Try not to pick something that finishes real dry either especially if its a tart fruit you're using. A little sweetness really helps the fruit flavor come through

thanks for the help guys. I'm going to have to try a fresh jackfruit one of these days. The ones that i've ever eaten where all sugared up in a jar so i'll check it out. thanks for the suggestions, i'll keep them all in mind and let you guys know how things go when they come along.

Back