Some Suggestions Needed with First Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedimaster1

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at creating my own recipe using Beer Smith (based on some added inspiration from Kona Brewing:D). Thus, I would be happy to hear some suggestions and your guys' expertise with the recipe I am creating. Below it is. I welcome all input.

Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil size: 2.5 gallons
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.017
IBUs: 69

Extract/Grain
3.25 lbs Light DME
3.25 lbs Light DME (@ 15)
1.00 lbs Munich 20L
0.50 lbs Crystal 80L

Hops
1.00 oz Northern Brewer (@ 60)
0.50 oz Centennial (@30)
0.50 oz Centennial (@25)
1.00 oz Centennial (@20)
1.00 oz Centennial (@15)
1.00 oz Cascade (@ 1)
1.00 oz Northern Brewer (Dry Second)
1.00 oz Centennial (Dry Second)

Yeast
#S-04

Thanks for reading!:D

Well if it were me - and I know it's not - you've got four hop additions between 30 and 15 minutes. I'd put half of that at 15, and the other half at 5. Either way, looks great.

I think the hop schedule looks excellent. Splitting the extract additions gives true hop utilization as well...

The 1.5lbs of caramel malt additions is a little steep for the style imo. I would knock it down to 1 lb total at most. maybe .5lb of each or 1lb of 60L...just my .02

looks like an excellent first beer though....ferment cool 65F for 3 weeks and dry hop for 10-14 days. drink freash....ummmm yummy :)

Sounds great! Continually hop additions are the way to go! Drop the Northern Brewer in secondary and use Amarillo or Cascade so things flow.

Well if it were me - and I know it's not - you've got four hop additions between 30 and 15 minutes. I'd put half of that at 15, and the other half at 5. Either way, looks great.

+1, I'd just shift all the centennial additions down 10mins.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. As one person suggested, is the 1.5 lbs. malts too much? How will they affect the overall taste of the beer in their current form?

Thanks for all the help once again!

Back