Bottle directly from secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if there would be any problems bottling my beer directly from my secondary pail? I ask cause I have a basic starter kit with a primary and a bottling bucket. If I used the bottling bucket as a secondary, when it comes time to bottle could I just attach my hose to the spigot and bottle? Or would I need to re rack, clean out my bottling bucket and rack back?

Also I was watching a youtube video on all grain brewing (chrisknight000) and it looked like he uses the bottling bucket with the spigot as his main fermentor and it allows him to take wort out anytime for gravity readings? Is this a good idea?

The main concern will be getting the priming solution evenly mixed. Mixing the priming solution in the secondary will mix the yeast on the bottom up as well. You can always use the primary and a racking can to bottle.

Ah yes, forgot about thoroughly mixing the priming sugar. I guess I could just use the bottling buckets as my primary and making the fermenting bucket the secondary.

Or, instead of using a bucket as a secondary (it has too much headspace for one thing), either skip the secondary or get a carboy if you wish to use a secondary for your beer.

just measure and pour the sugar in the bottle before syphon the beer.

Carb tabs??? if you use them you can go from secondary with no issues! Well.....other than sediment being sucked through the racking cane.

I guess I will just skip the secondary or maybe get some five gallon buckets/carboys for that purpose. I was mainly looking for a storage option as I just started up and only have enough bottles for 1 5 gallon batches. What is the "shelf" life of a keeping beer in a secondary before bottling? I feel like I have heard of people leaving it in carboys for a couple of months.

Back