5, 10, or 15 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew volume...

• 3 gallons or less

• 5 gallons

• 10 gallons

• 15 gallons

• 16 gallons or greater

• Ralph Nader

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about up-scaling my brewing operation. I know I want to go all grain. I know I want to brew larger batches...I've had some outstanding experiences, and I drink 5 gallons way too quickly (drinking problem? ...nah).

So, what are your opinions on larger batches?
Should I invest in the goods to brew 10 gallons at a time, or should I go all the way up to 15 gallon batches?
For those brewing slightly larger volumes, did you find that 10 gallons suited you, or were 10 gallon batches just a stepping stone to a big "half barrel" brew?
Any big advantages? Bulk grain prices come to mind...
Any disadvantages? Assume I have enough space to store the required equipment.

Just wondering what y'all have done out there. Thanks for all of the help thus far, and I hope that I've helped at least a few along the way, too!

With all my experience brewing (I'm getting ready to brew my second beer this weekend), I've already decided that I'm going to stick with 5 gallon brews until I can afford the equipment to go big with 10 or 20 gallons at a time. Let's see, do I want a 12 gallon conical, or maybe a 24?

It'll take me a while to get there, though.

I'm at the All Grain level, but I don't have room to work with 10 gallon batches yet. I mash and sparge inside and boil outside with my 8 gallon kettle. I have two converted Kegs ready to go, but no room, sculpture, wort pump or CFC to work with. All that comes later when the Brew Shed is put in place.

In the mean time, it's 5 gallon batches for me.

On another note, I had a fellow home brewer came by tonight to sample my 3 fresh kegged libations. He's a happy camper now, so my stress level for tomorrow's birthday party is very low. Everything passed with tasty colors.

Sweeeeet!

I've only done 5 gallon batches thus far, but have purchased a 1/2 barrel and burner to do 10 gallon extract batches with the intention of going all-grain eventually.

If you build or buy the proper items to go 1/2 barrel you will in most circumstances be able to brew smaller batches. When I'm testing some of the nice recipes I find on this forum or I'm developing my own recipe I'll go for the 5-er but when I feel the recipe is close I'll take it up a level or three. Space is always a consideration but if you have the means go big; I mean not everyone's amp "goes to 11".

5 gallons??? Nah! It really takes the same amount of time to do 5 as 10. Plus the more you brew your cost per pint gets lower!

The critical thing is fermentation and conditioning room. When I started in 1995 I was doing 5 gallon extract brews, but something to me was missing. I stopped brewing for several years, and decided to try and make better beer. That is where I am today and loving it!

All grain, whole hop, open fermentation 12 gallon batches. All grain allows you unlimited recipe variation and control.

With 5 you will always be wanting more, and 10-12 you will be satisfied

Once I get a proper kegerator system setup, I may move up to 10g batches. I like the experimental flexibility of 5 gallons, but it always runs out too soon!

runhard said:
If you build or buy the proper items to go 1/2 barrel you will in most circumstances be able to brew smaller batches. When I'm testing some of the nice recipes I find on this forum or I'm developing my own recipe I'll go for the 5-er but when I feel the recipe is close I'll take it up a level or three. Space is always a consideration but if you have the means go big; I mean not everyone's amp "goes to 11".
I like the idea here - flexibility is always a good thing. Keep the opinions coming!

My Marshall goes up to eleven, but the neighbors get pissed if I take it past 3... None more black...

I started with extract years ago...about 12-14 gallon batches.
Going AG now, I cannot imaging going to 5G it seems too small...buy the time you sample a few, and have a buddy over, they are all gone...so I settled for 10G.
The main thing is time...might as well have a good supply all the time.

10 G is still a little low...I am even considering adding more grain, getting a higher OG, and then top up with 2 G of water when putting into the fermentor.

Cheers.

Unless you're pushing it with a 20+ gallon set up, you should be able to do 5 gallon recipes on the same equipment. Get the one that goes to 11.

I just made an AG setup with 2 conveted kegs, and a 10g igloo cooler to mash in. I did a 5 gallon batch the first time, and thought about how it would be almost no extra work to do a 10g batch. I am trying it out today, and I hope it will go well.

Getting away from the Spinal Tap humor, I have a follow on question:

For those brewing 10+ gallon batches, what are you using for fermentation?

I considered just using two 6.5-ish gallon carboys, but that complicates yeast pitching, and that's something I'd rather not mess with. I would love to convert a Sanke keg, but I don't think that they are readily available in my small town. More Beer (.com) sells a converted Sanke for $300, but if I'm gonna spend that much, I'll just get a 12-14 gallon conical.

The conical presents a bit of a problem, as I have a spare bathtub currently housing my fermenters, but the conical fermenter won't really work well in a bathtub. If I get the conical, I'll have to make a brew closet just big enough to house it and grab the cheapest window-unit A/C I can find. It'll live outside on the back porch.

Keep those opinions coming - I don't know about the rest of you, but this has been a pretty interesting read for me!

Yuri_Rage said:

I just ferment my 10 gallon batches in 2 plastic buckets. That way I can play around and pitch separate yeasts, or add flavorings to half if I want to.

Yuri_Rage said:

I have a 13.5 gallon primary fermentor...its a weird plastic cooler shaped thing that has a spidgot. It was the first thing I ever bought for beer making..and has served me very well. When its full, you almost pop a nut trying to move it.
I got this in 1991 from a guy (being his first customer) who opened a brew place. He drilled a hole and put in a spidgot.

Hey Yuri Rage, I saw someplace a conical fermenter that must have a peltier device attached with a insulated jacket or something. It was capable of maintaining reasonable fermentation temps. but I bet it is expensive. You wouldn't have to convert a ferm. closet. You might google it. The morebeer.com Sanke fermenter conversion looks amazingly like the SABCO fermenter at www.kegs.com. SABCO has a newer version that looks quite nice but please remember that every gallon of beer weighs roughly 8 US lbs. I'm a small guy and the idea of lifting a Sanke keg up and around isn't appealing but with a conical on legs you simiply open the valve and away you go either collecting the trub, the yeast, or your prized brew. I just thought that I'd throw that out there. I've also seen the plastic conical fermenters at ebrew.com. I'd love to have a fermenter like MonsterMash but I just can't locate anyone around here to weld stainless. I bet if MM started selling fermenters like his then he'd make a small fortune. Good luck and go big because you can always brew smaller batches when you want or need to.

I can weld stainless - but I have no good source for Sanke kegs. I'll look into Sabco for their used keg sales - thanks for the pointer! I wouldn't buy their finished products because they approach the price of the coveted conical fermenter anyway! The brew closet is almost a necessity at this point, I think. I convinced the wife to let me have a little real estate in the back yard, and I think 30" x 30" x 50" with a window A/C unit would be plenty for anything I decide to do.

Yuri
If your worried about pitch rates in useing two different fermenting vessels "don't be" buy an erlenmyer flask (im sure you have one) do your starters in there and measure both pitches into two diferent vessels. I have been useing this method for several years now, ever since I went AG anyway. I do 12 gal AG and full boils. ferment in a converted fridge with temp control to 2 deg variable and I use two 7.5 gal fermenting buckets from true brew. as it is I am sure I am only off by less than a 1/2 million cells or less. most always both start bubbling at the exact same time or within an hour of the other.
JJ

If you have the capacity and skill to weld SS then talk to MonsterMash as his setup is one to be envious of. He was able to get swimming pool filters for a song and a dance if I remember one of his post correctly. I remember being amazed at just how little he spent on the conversions. If and when I can find someone to weld stainless or I just break down and buy off the shelf (with SWMBO's approval)I'm going to build a small movers cart to help me get the fermenter from point A to point B.
Jaybird has a good point, I've seen some unfinished conicals for cheap and since you can TIG-weld you're in a position to fabricate what you need and want. It will be interesting to see what you do since you have the flexibility and ability to weld.

runhard and jaybird - thanks for the tips! I'm thinking about using one of those hoppers from Toledo Metal Spinning - the 21 gallon version looks pretty tasty! I'll probably sacrifice a corny keg to supply a ball lock CO2 fitting and a dry hop port. McMaster Carr has almost everything else I need for cheaper than most of the homebrew supply stores.

As for a brew closet - I gotta do it! There are window A/C units on eBay for next to nothing!

I can do 10 gallon batches and consider them efficient and providing a maximum amount of brew. I have tried 15 gallons, which just doesn't work for me. Three kettles at once is very busy and not good. If you can, I urge to try 10 gallon batch and you'll probabably like it.

Yuri_Rage said:
Should I invest in the goods to brew 10 gallons at a time, or should I go all the way up to 15 gallon batches?

in a word...YES! i would shoot for the 15 to 20 gallon mark.

i don't know who these ppl are who voted for 5 gallons, but that's just insane imo. the time invested in a 5 gallon batch will be around the same..maybe just a little more for 15 gallons.

brewhead said:
i don't know who these ppl are who voted for 5 gallons, but that's just insane imo. the time invested in a 5 gallon batch will be around the same..maybe just a little more for 15 gallons.

I want some variety without having to store 20 cases of beer. If I brewed 15 gallons of the same stuff, I'd have to drink just that for a while before I could brew something new.

I'm still bottling, so I will be sticking to 5 gallon batches until I can get kegging equipment.

I guess bigger batches translate into less work per pint, but I can't justify the extra equipment cost for more than 5g batches, and besides, I can move 5 - 6g batches around without injuring myself.

-a.

I'm still bottling, so I will be sticking to 5 gallon batches until I can get kegging equipment.

me too - i bottle every 15 gallon batch i make.

I want some variety without having to store 20 cases of beer.

well 15 gallons rounds out to around 6 cases +/-. but nothing says you have to have 15 gallons of the same beer. you can make a base and split from there for 5 gallons ea style

IT doesn't take any longer to do 10 gallons ag then to do 5. I use 2 6.5 carbouys for fermentation. I put different yeasts in them also will dry hop 1 to see what happens. Used licroice root in a stout 1 time made it interesting. I did a barley wine only did 5 gallons of it put made a light beer with second runnings. It's a great way to play.

When I wanted to upgrade I was going to build a 15 gallon system. I contacted a bunch of pool guys and the 30 gallon filter housings were easier to get so I went with them. I figured I could still brew 15 gallon batches if I wanted to.

Since the pots were free and I could do some of the welding myself my brewery only cost me $800 to build with either the 20 gallon or 30 gallon pots. Im glad I went with the 30's because even with 25 gallon batches I have a hard time keeping beer on hand with all of my new "friends" and beer events I go to.

I guess Im the only 25 galllon brewer here since nobody else voted 16+ :drunk:

Boil1.jpg

well i voted 15 gallons MM because i thought it was an easily atainable threshold.

my stand was designed with 50 gallon batches in mind and i am saving up my dollars towards that goal. right now i do 20 gallon batches.

and i still envy your pool filter kettles. aqpparently those are a rare breed as i have not been able to find any or anyone who has seen ss pool filters.

I'm can find the filter housings that MM uses but no one around here to weld stainless. MM should go into a side business or it sounds like Yuri can weld stainless so the sky is the limit. Should be fun to see what Yuri goes with.

MM, are those new or used filter housings you bought? What has to be welded on it? Cut the top off and weld threaded fittings for valves, temp guage, sight glass?

I'm excited to get started, but I have a few stumbling blocks. First I need to finish my grain mill. Then I need to find a source for these awesome stainless filter housings. If not, I just did a little pricing for using the Toledo products. Looks like about a $400 venture for making a 21 gallon fermenter with their hopper/lid.

I'm VERY undecided as to my eventual course of action. If I order 5 hoppers and lids from Toledo to take advantage of their bulk pricing and make 5 21 gallon fermenters, I'd have to sell them at $500+shipping a piece to come out even on the deal. Of course, that would make mine free, so it wouldn't be a bad thing...

I have recently taken the jump from 10 to 25 gal. 10 gal is great if you are the only one enjoying the fruits of your labour. I like being able to dry hop with different hops and I also like to let one condition properly and get into the other immed because of my impatience. I have gone to 25 due to the fact that family members wanted to get in on the brewing so it made sense. IMO go big, you will not regret it

Yuri_Rage, how much beer can you ferment in a 21 gallon fermenter? I presume you have to leave headroom for kraeusen.

beer4breakfast said:
MM, are those new or used filter housings you bought? What has to be welded on it? Cut the top off and weld threaded fittings for valves, temp guage, sight glass?

These pool filters are free because they were being replaced. The bottom has a 4" hole the diverter goes through that needs to be welded.

This is what they look like before I strip and polish them. There is a lot of work involved in getting them shiney.....

LargeMashTun.jpg

Back