Homebrew Kit...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeChasay

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been looking for a good kit to start up homebrewing. I have looked at some local stores and online. I found what looks to be a pretty good kit for a pretty good price. If I could just get some feedback if you guys think it is worth the purchase and is a good price. I'm very new to the pricing and what all I will be needing

Heres a couple of the items I was thinking about:
1. Home Brew Equipment Kit with Brewing Beer Making DVD - eBay (item 350148644626 end time Feb-02-09 12:29:41 PST)

2. MAKE BEER 5-gal Home Brew Making Starter Kit with IPA - eBay (item 190276223993 end time Jan-24-09 17:49:00 PST)

Feed back please!? I'm ready to start brewing!

Both are good kits. I would recommend as an alternative to eBay looking at kits from northernbrewer.com and austinhomebrewsupply.com

You will get service to back up the sale, and they are experts on the equipment. :mug:

the lids for the TrueBrew buckets are a PAIN IN THE A$$ to get off if you ask me lol could just be the one i have tho (the 2nd link you provided). My "Ale Pale" lid is muchhhhhhhhhhh easier

My kit came from Midwest Brewer. All in all, I'm happy with it. It works well. Just be aware that, at the time anyway, their 4 gallon stainless brew pot is just barely 4 gallons to the rim. No room for ingredients. I have to do 2 3/4 or 3 gallon worts in that pot. Even then, it's always close to the rim. One must watch closely for boil overs and stirring must be done with care when it's that close. When I did my 9 pound DME wort it was a challenge. It's a good pot and all. Made well even if it is a bit thin. Was hoping for 4 gallon plus some room, though.

I just got the first one you linked. It is from midwestsupplies.com. I still have my first batch in the fermentor, but I am happy with the kit thus far. I got the plastic carboy with mine instead of the glass. This appearts to be a good kit. I have no complaints other than the carboy stopper was too small for the carboy. I was able to take care of that @ the LHBS.

I recently got a kit from Midwest as well. I can't view the ebay link cuz it's blocked at work but this is the one i got:

EVERYTHING + A CARBOY - Complete Brewing Package Equipment Kit #2 w/ Irish Red Ale :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Midwest seemed to have the best deal out of all the places I looked at when it came to equipment by far. The only additional things that I have bought since then are a bottle tree, "the theif," (for taking hydrometer readings), and sanitizer. I'm very happy with everything so far

the lids for the TrueBrew buckets are a PAIN IN THE A$$ to get off if you ask me lol could just be the one i have tho (the 2nd link you provided). My "Ale Pale" lid is muchhhhhhhhhhh easier

Hmmm my TrueBrew lids come off just fine (all three of them):confused:

I have to agree with KayaBrew, buy from a from a reputable supplier. This way you will be purchasing from some one that will be there to help ( can call ect). There are already a good list of suppliers listed so far.

Hmmm my TrueBrew lids come off just fine (all three of them):confused:

I have to agree with KayaBrew, buy from a from a reputable supplier. This way you will be purchasing from some one that will be there to help ( can call ect). There are already a good list of suppliers listed so far.

my luck! lol no worries tho, gives me a good work out hah

I'd look around for a LHBS. I got my starter kit for $69 at mine. Much cheaper than those you posted, and there's no shipping that way. Finding your LHBS is also a good idea for access to ingredients when you need them as well as asking their advice and insight.

Austin Homebrew Supply is good if you have to buy a bunch of stuff because of their flat rate $6.99 shipping.

I think the first link is a good deal with the 5 gallon glass carboy to use as a secondary. I wish I got something like that when I started. Comes with an auto-siphon, thermometer, and bottling equipment. I think I paid about the same for a whole lot less at my LHBS.

And my True Brew lid is pretty hard to get off too. I have another 7.9 gallon bucket that is much easier.

I just started and got my at the LHBS and it was about 90, plus i went for the better bottle opener and it came with everything i needed, it even came with a book that i already had for brewing, so they let me exchange it for a clone brews book.
So it was great that i could improve on the kit without getting something cheaper that might break a bottle and lose a beer, a fate no man should ever have to deal with.
Also this site is great for learning new things, but it was cool to actually be able to talk with the guy from the LHBS about the ingrediants and seeing what they all were.
I havent used any of those ingrediant kits, just bought them all seperatly

I live close to Austin Homebrew Supply's storefront, so I guess I get the best of both worlds (except for sales tax).

They are really a great company. When I first started, I was there for probably 2 hours and a couple guys showed me all the equipment and how to do everything. Since I don't have any friends that homebrew, this was invaluable. You can read all you want, but there's no substitute for one on one instruction and hands on demonstration.

I guess my point is, support your LHBS if at all possible. They need your business and making friends with those guys is often more valuable than saving a few bucks by ordering from a stranger in another state.

I just wanted to say thanks for the all the advice! I did end up going to a local home brewing store when I was in Corvallis but their prices were much higher than I was expecting. I could probably do some more looking at some places in Portland but the Kit from Midwest Brewing Supplies seems like a really good deal.

Well my buddies and i were just about to order the Midwest Brew Kit and I decided to take a look on craigslist and found one which we are going to be picking up tomorrow.
It includes:
Basic Kit
Bottle Capper
Siphonless Fermenter with temp gauge
Siphonless Bottler
Bottle Brush
Strainer
all tubing, stopper
Hydrometer
some bottle caps
PLUS
Intermediate kit
Mash Jacket
2 lautering/Mash Buckets with spigots
Plastic Carboy
Phil's Mash/Sparge Wand for sparging
and a Case of 22 oz bottles

All for 75 dollars. Just wanted to give an update and say thanks for all the input as well!

Back