Amarillo Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 gallon
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
35 @ 68
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
see below
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Amarillo Pale Ale
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 5.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 69.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.48 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
1.25 oz Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min) Hops 66.8 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (Dry Hop 35 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (2 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 3.28 gal of water at 167.2 F 154.0 F

This is a damn fine beer. I had only intended to dry hop it for 2 weeks, but my deck project got in the way and I ended up dry hopping for 5 weeks. The result is a very interesting, fruity Pale Ale. I've never dry hopped for this long, and it seems that leaving them in there for that long caused some of the Amarillo character to take over the palate. There's a mild orange/grapefruit presence in the palate that plays a background role to the hop character. The nose is just what you'd expect from a beer that had 2 oz of Amarillo in it for 5 weeks.
If you're a fan of Amarillo, this is the beer for you.

I have an amarillo brew that's a bit over the top on the grapefruit / citrus taste. I was wondering if anyone had any suggested pairings that helped to cut the initial Amarillo shock?

I have an amarillo brew that's a bit over the top on the grapefruit / citrus taste. I was wondering if anyone had any suggested pairings that helped to cut the initial Amarillo shock?

I've got a amarillo/simcoe/nelson sauvin brew now that I made some shish kabobs to pair up with and it worked really well.

String Pork tenderlon, Chicken breast, Pineapple and Bell peppers onto wooden skewers and marinate them in the beer for about 10 hours, flipping once. I topped them with some Mango Chipotle hot sauce. Bake them in the oven in tin foil at 400* for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked through (depending on the thickness of your cut. Mine were pretty thick so they took about half an hour).

Turned out great! The pineapple really helped to accentuate the fruity notes and make them a more desired flavor. Very tropical tasting :)

Back