Two kits, one primary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael88n

Master Napper
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought two Selection Speciale Port kits that make 3 gallons of wine each.

Can I put the ingredients into one primary fermenter (Ale Pail)? My fermenter can hold six gallons with about 1.5 to 2 inches of space from the top of the fluid to the top of the bucket.

How much Kraeusen will these two kits produce?

If there is a substantial amount of Kraeusen, what would the effect be if I put both kits in the pail, added water up to the 5 gallon mark, and let it ferment.
When I rack to the secondary (a 6 gal Better Bottle), add one gal of water to make up for the gal that wasn't added in the primary.

Thanks,
Michael

Oh thank god this didn't turn out to be a disgusting internet video! I say go ahead and put both kits into the same bucket. Fruits and grapes don't make a lot of krausen like beer does. It does bubble up, but if it's just the juice 2" of headspace should be adequate.

Yes you can combine both kits in the same primary.

Coincidentally, yesterday evening I started both the normal Selection Speciale Port kit and the Chocolate Raspberry Port kit.

At 5 gallons, the yeast never would have started, since the density would have been too high (normally around 1.125-1.130).

If you have some extra wine yeast on hand (doesn't everybody have some like me?!) you may want to add some extra packs. Either the Premier Cuvee which they include, or even something like the EC-1118. The Choc. Rasp. kit includes 2 packs per half kit (that's a lot of yeast packs to be opening).

Fruits and grapes don't make a lot of krausen like beer does. It does bubble up, but if it's just the juice 2" of headspace should be adequate.

Thanks. The kits come with Premier Cuvee and I know that it doesn't make Apfelwine krauesen. Just legions of CO2 bubbles.

If you have some extra wine yeast on hand (doesn't everybody have some like me?!) you may want to add some extra packs. Either the Premier Cuvee which they include, or even something like the EC-1118.

I've got Montrachet, EC1118, and one more pack of Cuvee laying around. Should I add an extra pack of Cuvee along with the two that came in the kits? Or would that just be overkill?

Cheers,
Michael

Well... not exactly. See, there's this video concerning two girls, and one cup.... and... um... let's just say one of them tries to emulate a soft serve machine in the most disgusting way possible.

That is (I guess) one way you could have thought he meant with the title. But why you went there first...

Back