Add apples DURING or AFTER fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanes66charger

Reaction score
Hi guys I just made a 3 gallon batch of mean.......used about 8 lbs in 2.5 gallons and 2 tsp of nutrient.

s.g. was 1.090

I wanna cube up some organic apples in it. The last time i used apples i put them in after i racked after like 3 months. I got a decent apple flavor, but wondering if i'td help or add much more to get them in there while the yeast are still active?

I brewed this ONE week ago. It had big krausen the first few days.......I have been swirling it around every few days as well. Krausen has fallen, but its cloudy and still fermenting actively.

Also, i'll be adding cinnamon to this and once I rack it plan on it sitting for a solid year b4 bottling.

So is it best to add apples and cinnamon now, let stay in priamry for a few months till it clears then rack off the lees, cinnamon, and apples and long age clean?

thanks for any opinions:mug:

It depends upon how much apple/cinnamon flavor you want. If you add it now, the escaping co2 will take most of the aroma with it. I made an identical mead a few years ago and added cinnamon and the apples (I think 10-12#, diced) in secondary. Turned out like liquid apple pie.

if you want a more pronounced apple flavor, add after yeast is is gone. otherwise much of the apple flavor is fermented away. Although fermented apple falvor is a fantastic thing.
cinnamon you can add anytime after fermentation is slowed and retain a good amout of flavor.

Latest posts

Back